75 datsun exhaust

Nightsfire

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll guess you mean the down pipe from the exhaust manifold to the rest of the exhaust system???

The '73 (L16) and '74 (L18) used a 4 into two manifold. The down pipe for this had two pipes that join soon after into one pipe that drops down and goes under the cab.

RFFQD1p.jpg

The '75 through '79 use a 4 into one exhaust manifold with a single down pipe.

001.jpg

0Gv6xx9.jpg

yea but do they come with mufflers out of factory? had a blow out on tire cop pulled up behind me and asked if i had a muffler and i said no its ran right off the heads he kept telling me that was illegal and he could write me a ticket for it. but if it came that way factory they cant force me to modify it

I've owned a lot of VWs, from a 59 on, and every one had mufflers.

I've have pictures of the very first VWs from pre-war Germany, and they had almost the identical exhaust system.

"But officer, the guy who sold it to me said it came like this from the factory, honest !"

takeyari-japan-s-crazy-bamboo-spear-exha

What you show there is what we in Texas call a 'Mexican Muffler Shop Special'.

If you had bought it new it would have come from the maker with a muffler. Or some kind of sound attenuation. A Manx is not a car maker. It's a modified VW that had a muffler from the factory.

Datsun 620 trucks come from the factory with a muffler just forward of the rear axle.... but anywhere will work. Datsun cars usually also had a resonator just ahead of the muffler.

The simple question was answered here...

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Of course they have, and have to have a muffler on them, and a tail pipe. I can't think of any vehicle made that doesn't. 

In Kansas 80 to 90 Db is the allowable sound level for motor vehicles. If you don't have a muffler, get one and save getting a fine for not... and then having to get one anyway. Besides no one wants to hear the noise. I used to argue with cops and butt heads with them about the loudness of my Dart and pay the fines and get angry and keep getting pulled over and... one day I smartened up and got stock mufflers put on. Why pay money to the State that doesn't deserve it????  A $25 muffler would have been so much cheaper.

• Thanks 1

I your pipes are in good shape anything cheap will give he best mileage per dollar. On my 710 I have a 45 elbow after the muffler pointing down. Technically illegal  as it must exit out to the side or continue over the axle to the rear bumper.... but who's going to look? It's not loud and no reason to be stopped and checked.

You won't want anything with a straight through passage like a ricer fart cannon but there are 'turbo' style with lots of packing and sound absorption material in them. Nice throaty sound without that raspy snap and pop or 'bee in a can' sound.

I think my pipe is 1 7/8" and the muffler is 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" so I put a $3 expander joint on to allow it to fit. The original muffler was split and rusted out. So this one is slightly larger in dimension so I would assume with slightly less resistance to flow. It's quiet but the sound reflects up from the pavement so you can ear it. It would be more or less silent with a tail pipe. I got the muffler at a yard sale for $5 (never used) and it looks like a totally generic one size fits all from NAPA.

If your pipes are in need of replacing you can have a system bent up that is 2" or 2 1/4" and a turbo muffler. Hard to find a shop with a bender and someone who knows what he's doing and it isn't cheap but should last you a long long time. I wouldn't go larger than 2 1/4".

6 minutes ago, G-Duax said:

Yes, when dealing with people asking questions that only a 10 year old would.
Do you wear a man bun ?

wow once again real big man talking trash like that bud make you feel better as a man? sorry i asked such a stupid as you put it question, i am quite new to the datsun and not 100% sure whats stock and whats not. this forum is meant to help people and for other datsun lovers to hang out and chat but you seem to think its ok to make it toxic its kinda sad.

2 hours ago, Nightsfire said:

i have 2 inch pipes after doing some measuring so something like this would work correct

5291488_thr_17711_pri_larg.jpg

Trucks might very well be 2", makes sense. Maybe my 710 was also, all I remember was the muffler inlet was slightly larger. Turbo thrush will probably be ok.

Go on line and look for a '75 Nissan FSM (factory service manual) probably about the cost of that muffler. Has to be the Nissan one, not a Chilton's or Haynes. It will have diagrams and procedures for fixing and maintaining anything you might want to do on your Datsun.

1 hour ago, Nightsfire said:

i am quite new to the datsun and not 100% sure whats stock and whats not.

Have you ever seen ANY car produced by a manufacturer, not some back street buggy shop, that didn't come with a muffler ?

Want a box of tissues ?

Maybe a hug ?

WBl.gif

friends-380x285.jpg

Edited by G-Duax
Helping someone reach manhood

Yes, that muffler in the pic would be perfect.

The VW stingers you mentioned were not stock, and a lot of them use baffles.

Lessons learned here -

1- ask questions at your leisure

2- if question could possibly fall into the "dumb question" category, get ready for a hailstorm of trash talking

3- learn search function (ie- "620 muffler" or "620 exhaust")

4- don't take trash talking personally

5- most of us are actually here to help. Yes...even G-Duax

6- learn to use memes as a way of illustrating your disdain for a particular member or their quote

7- kiss and make up

Follow these steps and you'll fit right in.

1 minute ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Lessons learned here -

2- if question could possibly fall into the "dumb question" category, get ready for a hailstorm of trash talking

6- learn to use memes as a way of illustrating your disdain for a particular member or their quote

7- kiss and make up

thanks i am not super use to older cars as the oldest car/truck i have owned was a 93 f150 i know VW's to a degree thanks to my dad but past that i am learning heck it took me 2 hours to hook up a aftermarket fuel gauge do to wiring being a bit different then i am use to personally i would love to make friends and even share what little knowledge i have learned but on side note i cheated and ordered this one as i know walker mufflers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AGFI78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Lessons learned here -

7- kiss and make up

#6 is essential for interweb survival lol

• Like 1