R200 diff which car came with it?

pondking

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'75 and up 280z but R-180 in the automatics from '76 on

280zx is a mixture for '79 but from '80 on basically all manual were R-200 and turbo automatics.

300zx Z31..... all R-200

Z32...... all R-200 ex. TT

S12..... CA18ET and VG30E only

S13...... all

D22 Pathfinder, D21 Hardbody front diff all VG powered.

Look for the engine compartment tag. On trucks it's under the pass side hood hinge, on the inner fender. Cars? maybe up on the cowl behind the valve cover. Usually the bottom left to right. TRANS/AXLE...................... FS5W71C / HG 38 

The HG letters may be different but the important thing is the numbers. 38 is 3.80 ratio, 41 is 4.11, 35 is 3.545 and so on. This is only what the car was equipped with at the factory. After decades it may have been damaged and replaced or up-graded. Take the cover off the back and on the outer edge of the crown gear will be numbers like 35:9. Divide the smaller into the larger for the ratio. 3.889

What I don't see mentioned there by Mike is the difference in the housing. Some of those later R200's (1989-99) are short nose R200s and those will not bolt in the same as the long nose. If you are dealing with the older 510 or old Z-car then you're going to want the long nose R200 from a 280ZX or Z31. It is probably best to stay away from the S13 and Z32 stuff.

If you have an R200 in your car that breaks internally, then maybe you can swap in the gearset from a short nose R200. (I'm not sure if that is possible)

As for the Z32 (1990-96) I thought they were all R230 and that the difference between the non-turbo and twin turbo was just the gear ratio. I could be wrong on that one. Because of that, I've never even tried to source parts from one of those cars.