2.3l ford ecoboost in a dime

drawks

I've been staring at pictures of this engine lately and I can't help but think it would be a hot swap into a dime.

* There are a million wrecked base model 2015-2018 mustangs in the world, which means this motor is plentiful in the wild

* unlike many direct injection motors Ford sells an ECU package meant for swapping this guy into a car without requiring a million body harness gizmos and a computer controlled transmission

* It has a rear sump oil pan

* the factory 6 speed tranny for it is a single OD unit so you get close ratios for the first 5 speeds

* if the mustang 6 doesn't fit well as a swap in a 510, the block has the duratec inline 4 bolt pattern which makes the common m5od r1/hd trans a direct bolt on as well as the NC miata 6 speed, both of which have a much further forward direct mount shifter

* in factory trim with the mustang ECU this motor is good for 310hp/350tq and word is that the ford standalone "powerpack" puts out more power but requires 91 octane (the mustang ECU will run on 87 octane, but will dynamically detune the engine down to 270hp)

Anyone know of a 510 running one of these engines? Aside from "Not A Nissan" does anyone see any obvious reasons not to use this motor?

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't figure out how to attach an image to a post, but I have a mechanical drawing of the 2.3 crate motor from ford and it looks dimensionally pretty comparable to an sr20det:

512.5mm from rear of block to front of pullies

659.5mm overall length including all accessories as dressed

665mm total width including all accessories, turbo, manifolds

301.2mm passenger side to centerline w/accessories as above

363.9mm driver side to centerline w/ acc

752mm total height from bottom of sump to highest point

the 6 speed getrag tranny is 677mm from bellhousing face to rear mount

I'm having trouble finding good dimensions for a dressed sr20det, but seeing number like 22.5"(571mm) from front pull to rear of block and 25"(635mm) wide including manifolds and turbo.

Oh schnap, I don't even know how I didn't notice before, the exhaust is on the passenger side of this motor too! So no crazy engineering to accommodate the turbo, steering and master cylinders all wanting to go in the same place.

The more I look at this engine the more I want to see one in a dime!

On 11/21/2018 at 1:56 PM, drawks said:

Anyone know of a 510 running one of these engines? Aside from "Not A Nissan" does anyone see any obvious reasons not to use this motor?

this...

1 hour ago, hosestop@msn.com said:

FORD

Always mate within you own species. You could have sex with a sheep, but people don't like you near them much afterwards.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Always mate within you own species. You could have sex with a sheep, but people don't like you near them much afterwards.

Seems a bit narrow minded to me, Nissan hasn't made a modern performance oriented 4 cylinder engine in a decade and even the venerable sr20det puts out pretty pedestrian 220~ hp in stock trim and really wants a bunch of parts/work to reliably put out the same power as the EB Ford motor.

Heck people have been swapping non-nissan motors in 510s for ages, Mazda rotary, Buick 215, etc heck I recall turbo Tom swapping a GM v6 with a couple turbos in the early 90s.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

Prince Ecoboost 

Have any of you priced the stand alone harness ??  Holy dangling dog balls Batman !!

The standalone is really the same ECU as in the mustang, only difference is it has the anti-theft features disabled so you can use a conventional ignition switch.

At any rate, I spent some time today talking to some shops that work on these engines and it turns out that most of them aren't using the 2.3 block because it is an open deck and has some problems even at stock power levels. So, long story short it turns out that at the end of the day the cost to build a reliable 300hp ecoboost isn't so much different than just building a turboed sr or ka. The packaging with the passenger side exhaust is pretty rad, but I'm thinking probably not rad enough to reinvent everything to do the swap.

So, back to the drawing board I guess.

8 hours ago, drawks said:

Seems a bit narrow minded to me, Nissan hasn't made a modern performance oriented 4 cylinder engine in a decade and even the venerable sr20det puts out pretty pedestrian 220~ hp in stock trim and really wants a bunch of parts/work to reliably put out the same power as the EB Ford motor.

Heck people have been swapping non-nissan motors in 510s for ages, Mazda rotary, Buick 215, etc heck I recall turbo Tom swapping a GM v6 with a couple turbos in the early 90s.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a different 4 cylinder engine.  I agree Nissan has dropped the ball on making a good one. Although the last RWD SR made 260hp and the last FWD SR made 280hp.   Which is some good power.   As of now I think Mazwerks holds the 4 cylinder HP record with a SR.  Just saying ? 

I really the S2k engine.  Almost had one!  

I gotta look up this engine you speak of.    

33 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

As of now I think Mazwerks holds the 4 cylinder HP record with a SR.

LOL calling that mazwerks motor an SR is like calling a top fuel motor a Dodge hemi. Full custom everything, aside from some shared dimensions and geometry I don't think that thing has a single stock sr20det part on it. I do like how it picks up 800hp in a 300rpm window when that monster turbo finally gets spun up tho ???

2 hours ago, drawks said:

The standalone is really the same ECU as in the mustang, only difference is it has the anti-theft features disabled so you can use a conventional ignition switch.

I was only commenting on price Ford wanted for it,,,,,,,  $1699.  and it said it was normally $2050. (?) 

9__zjG.gif

• Like 1

I must have taken some crazy pills... 

Yes I understand that a 510 is smaller than a 720, but also an sbc and an ecoboost 4 are not the same size in any dimension, don't use the same transmission and have basically nothing in common. I just fail to see how the mods needed to make an sbc go into a 720 has anything to do with the swap I was talking about.... ?