Skillard Nissan 720 Parts Group Buy

Wylder1324

I have been talking with the guys over at Skillard about doing some CNC parts for our trucks as my build is coming together.  They are open to it if I can put together 10 people for an initial buy on each part I have commissioned.  All of them can be raw stainless, or powder coated.  Some of the parts we are talking about so far are as follows:

- Stainless Door Sill Plates

- Center Console

- Kick Plates

- Door Cards

- Emblems

- Bumpers

- Grills

The first commission run would be for the door sill plates.  They would be $100 for a pair if we have 10 buyers.  Let me know here who would be in at this price.  They can be stamped to say either Datsun, or Nissan for appropriate application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be new here...the average buy-in of parts by these cheap asses is limited to the change in their ashtray most of the time, maybe more if they have the seats out and scrape up what's been hidden for years in the cracks.

So, no, precision made parts aren't a hot seller to most on Ratsun, lol.

• Like 1

Wylder1324 I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Datsuns and excellent workmanship. You are obviously a professional craftsman.

But $100 door sills on a $800 truck is like my 80 year old gramma getting a boob job.

The money could be better spent somewhere else.

• Haha 1

Yours is the exception. CNC bling doesn't really add value to a vintage auto.

Copper wire was invented in 1799 by two Datsun owners fighting over a two year old British penny they found on the streets of Boston.

I was really stoked to find change in the '74 sedan I got for a 620 dash and a 280zx distributor. To a lesser amount, the tray was never used for butts and the lighter was like new.

EF6aDhj.jpg

• Like 2

Mike, is Canadian change worth less than Mexican change?

Don't see much Canadian change down here, but there is a lot of the Mexican stuff floating around.

I've used it to make washers by drilling a whole through it.

I'd be in for door cards, if they were cheap enough, just so I wouldn't have to trace mine out on material, and cut them out myself.

Most of the stuff you list is already all over eBay.

Edited by G-Duax

Mine is only the exception because of many people’s mindset then I suppose.  Thus far it seems that the 720 specifically only has value as all time capsule or a very nice resto-mod.  Everything in between those hasn’t reached a status otherwise, but I think that it will, particularly as more nice examples start showing up as representations of what they can be.

Nothing I have seen on eBay is worth the shipping cost, much less the asking price once you see the quality.  The replacement bumper I got is laughable quality....hence me looking at other options to get something nice.....the whole point of this is to establish a supply of high quality parts.... $100 is hardly expensive.  Anyway, to each his own, I’ve considered just buying all 10 to start out with and having my shop guys do at least one of these trucks a year alongside other projects to see what kind of resale market develops.

Those shifty Canadians slip me one of their quarters now and then. The fact that the us has quarters for the different states doesn't make things any easier. Japanese coins already have holes in them so no drilling required. Funny enough I used a Japanese coin as a shim on the wife's toyata. I figured the next person to own the car and peels back the duct tape should get a kick out of it. I would like to see the door cards. Otherwise the rest is putting lipstick on a pig. 

• Like 1

I have a small bag of US coins from Canby trips. I can't get rid of them here. On the road takes too long to count out at gas stations. I like to limit my exposure at stops. Maybe if I rolled them?

Like I said, original parts are worth a lot more on vintage cars. Door cards should be padded and vinyl or carpet covered. Bare metal or powder coat gets hot.

21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I have a small bag of US coins from Canby trips. I can't get rid of them here. On the road takes too long to count out at gas stations. I like to limit my exposure at stops. Maybe if I rolled them?

https://www.coinstar.com/

amazon_transaction_lrg.jpg

Or find one of these on your route home and cash them in for a gift card to use later at home/online. Bonus is no fees for cashing in coins for gift cards, there is when exchanging for paper cash.  Coin rolls are pretty much a must for exchanges in banks.

• Thanks 1

Like I said, to each his own.  If these trucks were hard sought collectors items I’d agree with you, but they, at this point, are not.  The bigger appeal has been to people that want a resto-mod truck with vintage appeal but modern touches.  That’s where I’ve received the most interest from potential buyers.  I thought I may find some interest here in some parts other than inferior made Chinese, Taiwanese, etc junk.

• Like 2