Clutch upgrade. A12

njoz1200ute

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I don't know if the clutch disc spline on the A series matches all other Datsun inputs... maybe. 

The 63A does indeed match all the big ones, all of the others A-series transmissions do not. 

The main reason I used a 63A is so I could more easily use a beefier clutch. At the time I was putting it together, no one made a stout clutch for the small spline transmissions. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/9/2018 at 9:42 PM, datzenmike said:

So a 200mm disc?

Yes, 200mm disc on mine.

I checked and the A14 only has one flywheel listed

Checked what? Seems unlikely there would only be one used over a nearly 9 year model range. I've seen at least 3 different versions...

so the PP bolt pattern is the same for the 180 and the 200mm discs?

Very well could be? Mine is a lightened A15 flywheel, and was factory drilled for the 200mm clutch. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • 2 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, datzenmike said:

Looks like one of those with the extra weights welded on the diaphragm fingers to increase clamping from centrifugal force at high RPMs. Kind of a band-aid fix.

They are not welded on, no. And not really a "band-aid fix", but an actual fix. This allows for less clamping pressure at idle so the clutch is easier to modulate when you are taking off or shifting, but more pressure at higher RPM when you need it. However I only use/recommend these when you cannot fit a physically larger clutch (like on an A-series). 

And I believe it's actually centripetal force, not centrifugal? But I went to an inferior 'Murican science class as a lad, so...  

😁

Edited by datsunfreak

What I mean is the added weights exert a force on the diaphragm fingers that increases the clamping force. This 'force' acts outward from the center so must be centrifugal.

.. I think.

https://www.onedirt.com/tech/video-centerforce-university-max-performance-clutch-tech/