81sunnyson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Screenshot-20181116-111313-e-Bay.jpg

That bushing kit will fit all 71B 4 and 5 speeds Sept '71 through '86.5 as well as the 1200, B210, 210 4 & 5 speeds, and the A10 and S10 doglegs. 

By extension, all shifters should swap as well but expect different heights and bends. I've bent them before to place them where they are most comfortable to grip/reach. Longer ones are easier to shift than shorter ones. If you have to lean forward to put in any gear then something is wrong with your shifter placement. Avoid shortening excessively you shouldn't have to reach and grope around for the shifter.... and it's stiffer and clunkier to use.  Your right hand should drop off the steering wheel and right onto the shifter knob. The best shifter knob is round just like a hip joint so your hand grips it in any position or gear. Pistol grips, T handles or samurai sword hilts look 'cool' but just don't work when you're in a hurry. Look what race cars use. If you do a lot of in town driving a ball or rounded top is the most comfortable. (and cock like)

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

I've got a Z shifter in my B210 (63a dogleg), needed the shorter length as the stock one wouldn't work. 

Edit:

Looks like I used a 280zx shifter and flipped the plastic bit with spring in the center of the rod that holds the pin upside down to make it work.

Very old pic showing the shorter shifter.

P1030739.jpg

Edited by Dguy210