B-Sedan replica car - building the Orangeboom car

So, I am starting a B-Sedan replica car build. My history, I raced in SCCA SF region Regionals and Nationals 1982-1984 as well as Pro-Formula Atlantic 88-90. My regional/national car was a GT-3/4 510. Unfortunately long since sold and have been unable to trace it. My racing career spanned 1982-1991 and I drove everything everything from my 510 to a FFord, Pro FAtlantic and a 200SX called "cream-puff." Here nor there, I want to go vintage racing and decided that I would build a replica (I think they are called "tribute cars" now) car. This will be my 16th or 17th 510 since 1980. It will be based on my old buddy's (John Hoy) car as raced in 1981ish? Interestingly, John worked as a TransAm mechanic in the 80s on Frank Leary's and Paul Newman's cars. Unfortunately, I lost touch with him and heard that he may have passed on. The 510 was driven at the time by, I think, Bill Watson and was sponsored by Orangeboom Beer (may have started life as a FAR Perfomance car). At the time I was a NorCal510 member and seeing this car at Laguna Seca got me into racing. I loved the color scheme and the naming :). So, I've bought a trashed 510 and have started the process. I'll occasionally post progress pics of it here (hopefully this is the right place). Started stripping the car down to a tub this past weekend for media blast. Being a fabricator and antique car restorer, I am going to work hard to make the car as period correct, using period parts, as possible. So you may see ads for time to time of me looking for some period correct items  (a BRE manifold and remote oil block for example). Well that's it for now. As a newbie here, if this isn't the right place, let me know and hope to meet you at the track in the future. BTW, not sure how to attach photos, or if I can even do that here.

Edited by FormulaAtlantic
Revised a name referenced in story from Herb to Bill
  • Like 2
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are in the correct place good sir!  Very interested to watch your build.  

Don't post pics sometimes,  post lots of them.  Often.  If you think its too many, we are just barely happy :).

dont just post ads.  Talk about your build and what you are hunting in this thread as well. Often there are guys not looking in classifieds but following builds who can point you where you want to go or offer parts they possess.

welcome to the zoo!

You are in the proper section as it is a project, right?

I would suggest using Postimage to host your images if you are using a desktop computer, it is free and fairly simple, if you open an account and get stuck ask us and we will walk you thru, there is also a sticky about Postimage in the general section, as all free things it is a roll of the dice on how long it will stay free or how hard the site stay easy to use as all of us know here.

Edited by wayno

Long story short. Photobucket screwed the car forums.... 

I like flickr but they just changed their rules too an only allow 1000 photos got free acounts.... time for me to do some cleaning...

I think others use imgur.

Most of those photo hosting sites will allow you to copy a direct link from them that you can just paste directly into the forum.

Welcome to the nut farm FormulaA. I can see why the OrangeBoom car caught your eye. Straight up old school graphics right there. Do you know if you'll stay with an L16 or jump up to an L18? Rebello Racing is a great resource for vintage engine builds and parts. They supply most of the power plants for the NCali 510 B Sedan drivers. Likely you already know of them, but in the off chance you didn't... Troy Earmish Racing is another resource for drivetrain chassis and suspension parts. I bought a 510 rolling chassis from one of his race cars. Very well tuned setup he's developed there. He also caries fiberglass body parts, and FutoFab is another option for that stuff. 

All the best, and I'll be watching.

Thanks for the info Paradime, yes I know of all of those resources and more.  I will be building an L-18 motor. Typical B-Sedan stuff with twin Mikuni's etc. like my old GT motor, except L-18. I am looking at various builders, obviously Rebello, but also my old Formula Atlantic builder and a couple others. As it progresses I will let people know. This won't be a fast build, likely a year or so as work and house remodel are in line first.

Hi everyone, a project update. I spent the end of last week in SoCal, met a lot of new friends and picked up some "gold" for the race car project. It's so wonderful to be back in the 510 fold. I meet a couple of guys my age (50's) and we reminisced about the old days (late 70's into the 80's) and how 510's were so plentiful and cheap. I also met a couple of young guys who are just getting into the cars. It's great to be able to be a mentor of sorts to the new guys and to also see the excitement in their eyes of owning one of the greatest series of cars ever built. The excitement is infectious cross the board especially as talked everyone's ear off. The socio-economic spread across the various people doing this is amazing and yet we all see it exactly the same way. A bunch of guys (and gals) just talking about cool cars and what we want to do to them. Thank you for bringing me back in.

To the car, the donor is nearly just a shell now, being readied for soda blast inside and out top to bottom. The suspension pieces are being cleaned up and modified in various ways. I have scored two sets of 13x7 Libres along with fiberglass fenders and flares, Mikuni's, peanut heads, L18 blocks, transmissions and rare Porsche ATE calipers. Shooting for a complete finished roller by end of April and then it is just however long before the engine is built. Need to get into the queue for the engine soon.

Photos to follow. Merry Christmas everyone!