Valve springs

4x4 Demon

From what I've seen on this page it seems everyone has come to the conclusion that better valve springs are a must have for the z24 if you want to boost it as I do to my truck but I am struggling really hard trying to find some if anyone in here has done this in the past and can link to the page where they found them that would be awesome

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are actually 10 pounds stiffer at full lift than the L series and similar dimensions. L series are capable of 7K. The Z24 valves are the same size but a few mm longer. The Z24's red line is 6,300 RPM so you only need to get this far unless you have used exotic titanium rods and fasteners. I would stick with the stock springs for now and think about replacement only if there is an obvious problem later. They can easily be replaced with the head on the engine later using the 'piece of rope' trick.

A cam maker like Iskendrian may be able to source some that are stiffer but this is a double edged sword. The added stiffness adds stress and wear to the valve train ALL the time.  

• Like 1

I would think springs would not be an issue with boosting? It would be the least of my worries. I’d be more worried about head gasket failures from what I’ve read , but Mike probably knows more. Boosting would be my choice if I want more power in this truck, but haven’t read much info on boosting the Z24. 

• Like 1

What kind of boost are you looking to push?  Fuel injected, blow through carb, what type setup are you looking at?  End goal?  Budget?

We can help get you going the right direction with some extra info.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Madkaw said:

I would think springs would not be an issue with boosting? It would be the least of my worries. I’d be more worried about head gasket failures from what I’ve read , but Mike probably knows more. Boosting would be my choice if I want more power in this truck, but haven’t read much info on boosting the Z24. 

Valve springs only have to keep the rocker arm against the cam lobe. Increasing RPM and adding lift will perhaps affect this. Valve springs have no idea if you are using boost or not. If you plan to rev the Z series engine higher stiffer spring might be needed but I would cross that bridge when you come to it. Stiffer springs just increase cam lobe and valve seat wear.

What oil are you planning to run?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

What kind of boost are you looking to push?  Fuel injected, blow through carb, what type setup are you looking at?  End goal?  Budget?

We can help get you going the right direction with some extra info.  

I plan a a 200sx intake and Megasquirt for my boost. EFI is the only way I could see to do this with reliability. Just a couple pounds of boost with a small turbo I think would be the ticket for a nice bump in power. 

You can reliably run about 5-8 pounds on stock pistons and perhaps quick blasts to 10 with good mixtures and ignition retard. There were many '80 cars with around 7 PSI boost. A couple of pounds isn't worth the bother. In theory 7 PSI would give you abut a 50% increase.

The advantage I see to a low boost with fuel injection would be if you had frequent altitude changes. NA engines lose power quickly due to altitude change. Much more so with carburation over fuel injection but both suffer power loss. I bought my first turbo vehicle this year an ancient Duramax and had to tow a heavy load from Florida to Mane. Entering the steep grades in WV and PA the turbo spooled and there was no want for more power. Apples to orange type of comparison but the turbo keeps the power the same no matter what the altitude.

What are you doing for crank position sensor?  Z22E distributor will work if you have it.  Z24i should also work.  Both likely require a different oil pump drive shaft as well.

Or are you adding ford edis or some other option?