Wiring 620 for M-Unit Blue

crazytimmy1

Picked up the below truck couple of months ago. When i got it, it ran sometimes but not always, had many electrical gremlins and starting fires was one of its pass times. Stopping was not one of its strong suits either so first thing i did was upgrade the brakes to discs but will not bore you with that since there are several how to's on how to install disc brakes. I also got this truck to be a project / passion project and wanted to make it unique, more then just the physical aesthetic. 

CewKRdCG6zgnpNn5jVg8ohJiiU4oogVTmVHSh4Jalnn6_Qma4IfqRjTADqD_x2kyR2DyiTrhIA7LJbsk

It was determined early on that rewiring the truck was in it's future but the extent was uncertain. After some time I thought that it would be fun to re-wire the whole truck making my own wiring diagrams. Shortly after a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of something called the m-unit blue https://motogadget.com/en/2017/03/01/the-new-m-unit-blue/ 

This unit is made for motor cycles but my friend talked me into saying that an old Datsun didn't have any more wiring then a motorcycle. After watching several videos I was down and started the rewiring of the truck. Once i completed the wiring i wanted the truck to be reliable and also not need a key to start. The M-unit also handles the turn signals, horn and many other items that i will not go into right now.

So i started with taking out the old wires from the truck.

_gN9ziml4sNMme0h4OVL_YHLZMp1oh1m3cYCk20q

Once the old wires were torn out i decided the best place to mount the fuse panel's and m-unit would be in the glove box. From there i made my wiring diagrams and went to town. 

TfCvDYmZznF971SaqZ24qK3RC5nDD4sS-zUSJd3f

7hwodMZpKmKumlrKyrG5wHUE0nY2y75VbUJuz-Qt

Wiring diagrams

2Gut-fg7tdkL0UOr1l-W2Ijn9hkk0Ji3bTsnBp6r

5ddcHH0mi6vNfjn7HshBkfEBCvje-E5N6x2TTZFGEGkzkr7wP8wkSET_33xl2FRNc0dmIii96V4FTTnx

kzKCaAIXCTE3h5QWUz9BcNiuAS_YU__Xb2LnZvF7LPz_ZngznpOHcX5FK3N2dPXDNBqiz0f15zr_C1xw

I then created the main harness and have it routed through three spots in the truck, out each fender to the front of the truck and behind the heater box in the cab for the engine wiring. 

ViEOqyE6EPb2LBGzIF1al56V5o4r-qCbAPIK_2nJ

DrYswcgJty_2YK1ybiICJKocfCZAZH4zo3PhWyJA

Sorry i don't have more pictures of the wiring within the truck. 

The truck is now a push button start and my cell phone acts as the key 

no78fOE9QmTW9gh-J9sn22cpKsuWzebXO3XN9DaQ

The wiring has been great and no longer have to worry about shorts or items grounding out. For anyone that is wanting to re-wire their Datsun i would highly recommend the m-unit blue. It was a painless process and the end result has been amazing.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the wiring of the truck.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, Unfortunately most of your pics aren't working for me though.

Would you say that the m-unit simplified the wiring? or what would you say the benefit of the m unit is over just making a new harness like the stock one?

2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I dont get this?

Japanese wireing is pretty good. Most time its hack wireing from previous owner or just corrossion .

I think his main concerns were grounding/shorts from corrosion. I'm thinking of doing the same.

I really love the idea of bluetooth control and monitoring of any vehicle, but then I don't.

Years ago, I wanted to incorporate some of this stuff into a rock crawler I was building, mainly interior and exterior lights that you could remotely access to make your vehicle easier to find at night, or to help when you have to get up in the middle of the night to find something in your truck, and I looked into Arduino technology for that. Now, there are a few systems on the market, like the ones from Motogadget, ARB, sPOD, etc which simplify the process, but do I want my vehicle to be controlled by bluetooth? I don't anymore.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:10 PM, Moist Lightning said:

Nice, Unfortunately most of your pics aren't working for me though.

Would you say that the m-unit simplified the wiring? or what would you say the benefit of the m unit is over just making a new harness like the stock one?

I think his main concerns were grounding/shorts from corrosion. I'm thinking of doing the same.

The m-unit did simplify the wiring. It has solid state relays for everything so there isn't really a need for a relay box (i added one for complete overkill). Motogadget makes m-units that aren't bluetooth as well, and you can wire up a key instead/as a backup in case something isn't working correctly with your phone.

• Like 2
On 11/7/2018 at 12:21 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I really love the idea of bluetooth control and monitoring of any vehicle, but then I don't.

Years ago, I wanted to incorporate some of this stuff into a rock crawler I was building, mainly interior and exterior lights that you could remotely access to make your vehicle easier to find at night, or to help when you have to get up in the middle of the night to find something in your truck, and I looked into Arduino technology for that. Now, there are a few systems on the market, like the ones from Motogadget, ARB, sPOD, etc which simplify the process, but do I want my vehicle to be controlled by bluetooth? I don't anymore.

Just curious as to why you wouldn't want bluetooth connectivity on your car?

• Like 1

Because a hard wired connection is always more reliable than a wireless connection. I think of all the time spent debugging the miscellaneous wireless hardware around the house and shop, of all the times the Bluetooth connection is dropped or the device gets confused and does not recognize the signal.

I'm not a 100% cynic, but there is always the possible security problems with a wireless connection.

Combine all those what-ifs, and I have to ask myself, is the juice worth the squeeze? What am I gaining?

I build custom vehicles for a living, so this technology is compelling to me, but I haven't been convinced enough yet to go there.

• Like 1