Heater, carburetor and fusible link questions

sunny310

79 210 heater is blowing cold air. What do I need to check? This is my first B310 with hvac in it so not familiar with it. Car is an a/c car. Also the carburetor stays idling high even after it warms up and I keep have to stab the gas pedal to make it go down, which doesn’t always work...also has a small hesitation issue. How do I solve these issues?

Also I need to fix the connector on the fusible link from the battery terminal to the link wire itself. Can I just cut it n use spade connectors? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the two heater hoses under the hood. Are they connected together in a ghetto by-pass? Are they sealed up or not connected to the heater? Maybe the previous owner found a heater core leak and disconnected it.

The cable to the water valve fell off or is not adjusted. Valve is stuck in the off or closed position and no water can circulate. Can you touch the heater core with your finger? If hot then the valve is not stuck closed.

The vent knob is in the full open position (again it fell off or is not adjusted) allowing outside air IN but blocking it from going through the heater core.

Possibly the core is silted up with rust or worse an over the counter cure for a rad leak like Stop Leak or Bar's Leak. One looks like aluminum powder the other looks like dead flies rolled in tar. Drain and save your coolant, or maybe time to replace it? Pull both heater hoses off the engine side, set the heater for full HOT (assuming the heater valve is working and not the cause) and use a garden hose to flush any crap out the other hose. Now reverse flush. Do this back and forth maybe a half dozen times or until the water runs clean.

There are 2 hoses on the firewall that are cut. Have no idea what they're for. I'll have to take some pics n post em. Where do the heater hoses run from? Is it from the waterpump to the firewall?

Not that familiar with the A series engines. Looks like the first picture should go down the driver's side of the engine to the front. It should return water to the inlet of the water pump, probably on or near twhere the bottom rad hose connects? The other picture on the right should go to a fitting on the side of the head?

Went digging again n found another disconnected hose on the driver side. Goes in the firewall behind the carb. It looks like it’s supposed to go to the water pump but there is already another heater hose running from the water pump to the back of the cylinder head. All the other hoses going into the firewall are from the a/c compressor. Found another hose hanging from under the dash on the passenger side as well. Don’t know what that’s for either. 

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Find the two heater hoses under the hood. Are they connected together in a ghetto by-pass?

If the heater is leaking many people just cut the hoses and connect the two at the engine together. This is very bad for hot summer driving.

So I figured it out. The heater has a bypass hose. Those disconnected hoses are for the heater. Guess I’ll have to check the heater core n see if it’s leaky or clogged or something. 

Also found out the alternator might be going out. Have to order a new one