620 front suspension and steering

Figbuck

I am working on my '73 620. I need to replace the King Pins, upper and lower control arm bushings,  both tie rod ends, both steering arms, and  the sway bar bushings...  stabilizer, strut rod bushings. 

Question;

Is the suspension the same for all the 620s from '73 through '79?

Are there left and right Tie-rod ends or are they the same. Left and right steering arms or the same part number?

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'73 through '77 should be the same suspension and steering. '78-'79 did not use king pins.

All steering side rods, and cross rod sockets are L & R. The toe adjustment ends are L & R thread.

The tension rods are L & R but the replacement bushings should be the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK.  

My antique laptop won't connect to many servers, like E-Bay or even Rock Auto. I can get almost everything from AdvancedAuto, either from Moog or RareParts... except only the right Tie-Rod end and right Steering Arm... no lefts listed.

• Like 1

Figbuck,

The tie rods are 1 piece, with no adjustable ends, the toe adjustment is made with the center link. Right tie rod  ACD# 45A2012, Left tie rod ACD#45A2013, available at Rock auto

The centerlink attaches to the arm on the steering box and the idler arm. one tie rod goes from the arm on the steering box to the spindle, the other tie rod goes from the idler arm to the spindle

Rick

AC delco part numbers

Edited by Rick-rat
  • Like 1

Don't buy rubber suspension bushings coming out of Thailand, they crumble within a month or 2.

Not sure what they are molding them out of, but it sure is junk.

Same with their peddle covers, they wear out in about the same time. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Rick-rat said:

Figbuck,

The tie rods are 1 piece, with no adjustable ends, the toe adjustment is made with the center link. Right tie rod  ACD# 45A2012, Left tie rod ACD#45A2013, available at Rock auto

The centerlink attaches to the arm on the steering box and the idler arm. one tie rod goes from the arm on the steering box to the spindle, the other tie rod goes from the idler arm to the spindle

Rick

AC delco part numbers

This

With L & R threads turning the center 'cross rod' pulls the wheels in or out to set the toe. Thanks Rick.

• Like 1

I have the AC Delco branded L and R tie rod ends. and got a center link from Autozone. also the link that bolts to the frame on passenger side.

turning the center link turns it in/out as Mike said I eyeballed matched the orginal to the new one before installing

KIngPins might now be harder to find. the 620 ones use a different size bushing on one side as the 521 uses the same size bushing , but otherwise they look the same. Have a reputal shop do this . Maybe Mike Klotz can do it????????????

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

I borrowed an iPad so I could search for parts and be able to work the transaction. I kept thinking if I can hit the search words right, I can probably find everything.  RockAuto has some stuff, same with NAPA, but I ended up ordering what I could from AutoZone online. The stuff shipped the day I ordered it and was here in 4 days. The parts I got were from RareParts. For some reason I never could get the Rareparts web site to work and buy straight from them. But they did look parts up for me when I called. They didn't have any of the inner control arm stuff I needed. 

So I got the king pin set through AutoZone from RareParts, who ship out of Stockton Ca. It was pretty expensive, but Elgin Industries made in USA.

Two lower (outside) control arm bushings, Left & Right tie rod ends, Left & Right side tie rods all made in Japan. I got new sway bar bushings from Japan too.

I'm waiting for the rear sway bar stabilizer link. I ordered it from Moog Suspension online and it is the urethane bushing type.

The last things I just ordered today. They are two inner control arm assemblies; Upper Link Spindle/bushings... that are the same left and right... and the two Lower Spindle Arm Bush Assy RH&LH Pair. After searching and not finding any of the inner control arm parts available in the USA, I ordered them through and E-Bay. The seller is in Mexico, so it looks like all three item will ship for $38 and the parts take an extra 14 days to mail. So It looks like I'm going to sit tight for a minute. I kept thinking that I could find the inner control arm bushing stuff if I got the search criteria right... and maybe I didn't... but I wasted so much time searching in circles.

I talked to Mike and he is sending me the Upper/Outer Control arm bushing kits he made. Mike put the front Disc Brakes on my truck in his garage... I'm such a lucky guy! I don't think he would be that excited to R & R my KingPins. Maybe If I cleaned the fuck outta everything for him and plied him with a wad of cash! hahaha

I already talked to a Front End and Suspension shop that will do the work for me. The deal is that I get the parts for them. They have a machine shop that they send work out to. 

Thanks for the replies... I will let y'all know how everything plays out...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Like for drifting? Adjusting excessive slack in the box won't do that but if done correctly it can remove side to side steering wheel play. Have a care here.... most of the wear is in the middle or straight ahead position. If you remove all the play it will be tight on full turns. A tight box that doesn't want to return to the center position is to be avoided. Raise the front wheels and turn rapidly from lock to lock. If you feel any binding loosen the adjustment slightly and try again.

Better, is to replace any worn out steering ball joints and tug up and down on the idler arm. It may need new bushings. Also the correct wheel bearing pre load adjustment is important. The steering box ratio is 19 to 1 so if all the steering components wear or slack add to just 1/8" of total play, the box will multiply this to 2.375" of side to side steering wheel play.

Now that the front end is snug get a good alignment. If you have raised or lowered from the stock ride height you have thrown the toe out for sure while increasing bump steer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Replace all worn out parts and take it to a good alignment shop.

I replaced everything on my 86 720 front suspension and also all the steering components and then had the alignment down at the Mexican tire shop I have tires done at and that was the best $50 I spent on the truck.  I still need to rebuild my steering box but I think I will convert it to electric steering assist instead of rebuilding the hydraulic parts.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, Gery said:

I’d like to improve the turning radius of my ‘78 620. 

When I need to turn around in an narrow spot, I just get to one side,

turn towards the other, rev the engine, and dump the clutch. :)

Works every time.

I swear I can change direction in an alley only 3 feet wider than the length of the truck.

• Like 2
On 12/21/2018 at 6:55 PM, Gery said:

I’d like to improve the turning radius of my ‘78 620.  Besides cleaning and adjusting the stock box, anything practical to be done?

My SAS 4x4 with 35"s has a better turning radius than my lowered truck if that helps. lol

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

On  November 7, 2018, I ordered; 2 Each: Datsun Truck 520 521 620 Inner Upper Link Arm Shaft Spindle Bush Assy LH or RH  & 1 Pair Each;  Datsun Truck 520 521 620 1966-1977 Spindle Lower Arm Bush Assy Pair New  from an E-Bay seller called phanter (99). It was about $120 for the parts and $30 fro shipping from Mexico. There was a warning to expect a 14 day delay by USPS , the Estimated delivery date was between January 1 and the 11th.  I got an order confirmation E--mail. This was November 7th right?

On January 13th no parts had been delivered, so I tried to contact the seller through E-Bay. Every time I tried to type into the dialog box, it disappeared when I hit enter. I called Customer service and they sen phanter t a message asking  how to track the package. I got this fucked up reply: 

The seller has responded to you and offered another solution to solve this issue.

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fq.ebaystatic.com%2
Seller's message:
"Hello we have already investigated what happened with its parts as it always happens the months of November and December the post offices are saturated and there are delays in some packages, but here we are to support and collaborate and our post office tells us that they are in the office of exchange in LOS ANGELES, CA (CUSTOMS), as we have seen that you need your parts we have sent another package with accelerated service with the tracking number EM088679877MX through EMS, you should arrive soon its 4 pieces and we deeply appreciate your support and understanding, If you have any other questions, we are here to serve you, thank you have a nice day"

If you're satisfied with this solution, you can let the seller know by sending a message in the Resolution Center. If you don't want to accept this offer, we encourage you to send the seller a message with solution that you'd be happy with.

You can also view the details of this request in the Resolution Center.

Yeah, well the tracking number was not valid and more day went by with no parts. I felt like an idiot. I called E-Bay customer service because an E-mail saying that I had ten days to ESCALATE  the case for a refund or it would be closed, with no more recourse. I don't want the money... I wants my parts!!!

So now there is another seller in Mexico, kentico who has the pair of the lower inner spindle pairs for about the same price and three weeks to ship. There were seller in Crete and Greece back in Nov. but it seemed crazy to order from there... but now they don't come up in the search. Neither does phanter's store. But kentico only has one of inner upper spindle shaft assys. 

I guess I will order the lower ones. I sent a message to see if there is a another upper. 

I'm wondering if my existing inner upper link shaft assy is actually worn. Has anybody done this job? How bad do they wear?  Could a machine shop re-bush them?

I didn't get a chance to look at anything when the Front-End shop had it up on a lift. They were more concerned about worn steering bushings and  how fucked the King Pins were. It just seems like a good idea to me, to change everything out.

• Sad 1

I just got in upper & lower links for mine (out of Cyprus via eBay of all places) because I noticed while servicing the engine, that one of them was way off to the side of the rubber seal, so it has to have a lot of wear.

They don't have a bushing per say, but actually thread together.

Your links don't work, and sorry to hear that you had issues with eBay.

When I order something off eBay, I always look at the seller's feedback, and rarely buy from a seller that has less than 99.6% feedback, and will always spend a few $$ more with a seller with 100% feedback.

I see some sellers with 98% feedback, and at first glance this sounds good, but if you read through the feedback left, you will see what a scumbag they are....

The seller over in Cyprus had 100% good feedback,  and the parts were genuine Japanese aftermarket items.

Got everything to my door for $130, but it took 2 weeks. Not bad from half way around the planet.

It took me a long time to find the E-Bay store  fm.e-shop-cy (2238) in Cyprus. 100% positive feedback.  What a waste of time. By the time I e-mailed them, only one upper inner link arm was still available, so I ordered it for $60. Then I ordered one from another Mexico E-Bay seller kentico, whom I e-mailed also... he only had one left. I got one of the upper link arms and the pair of inner lower bushings for $134, . 

Edited by Figbuck

So, I got an E-mail almost immediately to confirm the order from Cyprus, then another one saying they shipped yesterday. It looked like both sellers had received funds through PayPal.  Yesterday I got the order confirmation E-mail from kentico, the Mexican E-Bay seller. This morning, a  detailed E-mail arrived with 2 set of tracking numbers, Mexican Post Office and USPS. 

Now let's see... where was I doing about 3 months ago? Oh yeah waiting for parts. The tip off was ,when I never got a shipping notice for weeks, after PayPal  paid right away. 

For a few weeks I have been going to the front door to look for a package. I keep telling myself... Figbuck, One OF These Days... one of these days... we is gonna open the door and BINGO! There will be be our fuggin' parts!!! 

• 1 month later...

Now it's almost April. I went over to Ron's Front End, and showed him my nearly $700 box of front suspension parts. He scheduled a spot in the shop for next week. 

Good thing too, there are very alarming rubbing/grinding sounds starting to come from the front wheels... 

The one upper inner link came in my mailbox from Cyprus in 18 days... still no delivery from the the Mexican E-bay seller kentigo. Finally a week after the last delivery date went by, E-bay refunded my money for the other inner upper link and the pair of inner lower links.

I go back online and waste insane amounts of time searching... finally, I see a seller in Singapore that has a bunch of interesting parts for old Japanese cars... I crossed my fingers, took giant bong hit and sent the seller holee an e-mail. A couple hours later holee responded back, so I ordered the two inner lower links. Another bong hit too.

A couple weeks later, I get a USPS notice to pick up a package. OH BOY! This is it! I go to the post office and ask where the package is from... they say over seas... not from Mexico.  I had to show ID and sign for the package. I'm thinking Singapore, but no... IT'S THE PACKAGE FROM KENTIGO IN MEXICO... only a couple weeks after my money is refunded. It's one inner upper link and the pair of inner lower links. They are re-pop parts in sealed plastic bags. The inner upper link has different seals and is a little different part than OEM stock. The lowers are pretty simple. Looks like it should work.

The next day, like eighteen days from the order, the single upper inner link shaft was delivered to my door by my USPS from Cyprus! It's new made in Japan, old stock in 45 year old box. 

Finally I got the pair of inner lower links from holee in Singapore delivered to my door by the post office. New old stock Made in Japan sealed in plastic bags in cool old box. Can get shit from Singapore and Cyprus... but not from Mexico??

In the end, my existing inner links maybe in good shape, if I lubed them enough through the years.  But it would suck to get everything all apart, then realize something is not serviceable.  

Edited by Figbuck
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up my truck this morning from Ron's Front End. The labor bill was $1295.00.  Parts $910.00.

Labor for tie rod ends, steering arms, $105... new swaybar bushings $65...  outer, both upper and lower control arm bushings $210...  Inner, both upper and lower control arm links $500... R & R King Pin bushing kit $210, plus $95 machine shop service... finally, alignment work $105. I brought it in Tuesday Morning and It was ready at the end of Thursday. Ron quoted me $105 per hour shop time. 

It drives like new obviously. The manager Robert did some of the work and said the steering box still had adjustment left. He said it may need to be tweaked in a while, he hesitates to crank on it. I said, "Sounds like the voice of experience." He goes, "Yeah, I have been responsible for slaughtering more than a few 620s... cut them up, notch the frame and slam them on the ground... heh, heh, heh."

I looked at the old bushings and upper inner links spindles... they were toast. I'm glad I was patient enough to keep searching E-bay for replacements. I wonder where the package I waited fifteen weeks for, that never showed up... where it ended up? The last ones on earth to be found... lost in the Mexican Post Office!!!

The Elgin Made in USA King Pin Bushing kit I got from Rare Parts for $215 inc. shipping. Delivered in three days. I could have got Made in Japan new old stock from sellers in Singapore for half that shipped in about 18 days.

A special thanks to Mike Klotz @ Bluehandsfabrication.com for the upper outer control arm urethane bushing kit!

I'm pretty happy how things turned out. I had the King Pins done in 1990 for about $900 at a 4x4 shop in Redwood City. It was about 120K mi. ago. If I would have had any idea how hard it was to replace all this stuff... I would have lubed all the steering and control arm links & bushings more regularly!!!

If all this suspension work lasts me another 17 or 18 years and 100K mi. I will be 85 years old... 368,000 miles.

Next, is new tires and quick Spring road trip to California. 

• Like 3