Sign in to follow this  
Figbuck

620 front suspension and steering

I am working on my '73 620. I need to replace the King Pins, upper and lower control arm bushings,  both tie rod ends, both steering arms, and  the sway bar bushings...  stabilizer, strut rod bushings. 

Question;

Is the suspension the same for all the 620s from '73 through '79?

Are there left and right Tie-rod ends or are they the same. Left and right steering arms or the same part number?

'73 through '77 should be the same suspension and steering. '78-'79 did not use king pins.

All steering side rods, and cross rod sockets are L & R. The toe adjustment ends are L & R thread.

The tension rods are L & R but the replacement bushings should be the same.

OK.  

My antique laptop won't connect to many servers, like E-Bay or even Rock Auto. I can get almost everything from AdvancedAuto, either from Moog or RareParts... except only the right Tie-Rod end and right Steering Arm... no lefts listed.

The two outer non adjustable rods look almost the same, but have different part numbers. There is a slight bend in them that is L or R.

The two shorter rod ends that are threaded inside are L & R threads.

Figbuck,

The tie rods are 1 piece, with no adjustable ends, the toe adjustment is made with the center link. Right tie rod  ACD# 45A2012, Left tie rod ACD#45A2013, available at Rock auto

The centerlink attaches to the arm on the steering box and the idler arm. one tie rod goes from the arm on the steering box to the spindle, the other tie rod goes from the idler arm to the spindle

Rick

AC delco part numbers

Edited by Rick-rat

Don't buy rubber suspension bushings coming out of Thailand, they crumble within a month or 2.

Not sure what they are molding them out of, but it sure is junk.

Same with their peddle covers, they wear out in about the same time. 

8 hours ago, Rick-rat said:

Figbuck,

The tie rods are 1 piece, with no adjustable ends, the toe adjustment is made with the center link. Right tie rod  ACD# 45A2012, Left tie rod ACD#45A2013, available at Rock auto

The centerlink attaches to the arm on the steering box and the idler arm. one tie rod goes from the arm on the steering box to the spindle, the other tie rod goes from the idler arm to the spindle

Rick

AC delco part numbers

This

With L & R threads turning the center 'cross rod' pulls the wheels in or out to set the toe. Thanks Rick.

I have the AC Delco branded L and R tie rod ends. and got a center link from Autozone. also the link that bolts to the frame on passenger side.

turning the center link turns it in/out as Mike said I eyeballed matched the orginal to the new one before installing

KIngPins might now be harder to find. the 620 ones use a different size bushing on one side as the 521 uses the same size bushing , but otherwise they look the same. Have a reputal shop do this . Maybe Mike Klotz can do it????????????

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I borrowed an iPad so I could search for parts and be able to work the transaction. I kept thinking if I can hit the search words right, I can probably find everything.  RockAuto has some stuff, same with NAPA, but I ended up ordering what I could from AutoZone online. The stuff shipped the day I ordered it and was here in 4 days. The parts I got were from RareParts. For some reason I never could get the Rareparts web site to work and buy straight from them. But they did look parts up for me when I called. They didn't have any of the inner control arm stuff I needed. 

So I got the king pin set through AutoZone from RareParts, who ship out of Stockton Ca. It was pretty expensive, but Elgin Industries made in USA.

Two lower (outside) control arm bushings, Left & Right tie rod ends, Left & Right side tie rods all made in Japan. I got new sway bar bushings from Japan too.

I'm waiting for the rear sway bar stabilizer link. I ordered it from Moog Suspension online and it is the urethane bushing type.

The last things I just ordered today. They are two inner control arm assemblies; Upper Link Spindle/bushings... that are the same left and right... and the two Lower Spindle Arm Bush Assy RH&LH Pair. After searching and not finding any of the inner control arm parts available in the USA, I ordered them through and E-Bay. The seller is in Mexico, so it looks like all three item will ship for $38 and the parts take an extra 14 days to mail. So It looks like I'm going to sit tight for a minute. I kept thinking that I could find the inner control arm bushing stuff if I got the search criteria right... and maybe I didn't... but I wasted so much time searching in circles.

I talked to Mike and he is sending me the Upper/Outer Control arm bushing kits he made. Mike put the front Disc Brakes on my truck in his garage... I'm such a lucky guy! I don't think he would be that excited to R & R my KingPins. Maybe If I cleaned the fuck outta everything for him and plied him with a wad of cash! hahaha

I already talked to a Front End and Suspension shop that will do the work for me. The deal is that I get the parts for them. They have a machine shop that they send work out to. 

Thanks for the replies... I will let y'all know how everything plays out...