New rebuild concerns

zewiz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd. So he replaced the old engine but kept the old lifters for the replacement engine? Odometer turns over to 00,000 after 99,999 so any reading could be a over 100,000 or even 200,000 miles. Take for a drive.

Check the dip stick. If oil is dirty it probably wasn't maintained very well. Not a reason for not buying... just saying.

Should start easily and restart when hot.

Should not have a blue cloud puff out the exhaust on start up or when driving.

Should not over heat.

Should not make mysterious engine, transmission or rear end sounds.

All electrical should work. (no light switch for a horn) wipers, heater, 4 way, headlamps, brake lights etc.

All glass in good shape.

Look under the engine, Oil leak on ground?

Things to note but can be replaced/fixed....

Uneven tire wear on the front.

Steering wheel looseness, poor steering

Drive-line vibration, U joint or wheel balance.

Mismatched tires

Burned out bulbs

Poor braking, pull to one side.

Poor handling, shocks.

My apologies, I described this very poorly :oops:

the motor was rebuilt, all new parts except he kept the old lifters in there. Apparently the mechanic helping him ensured him they were in great shape and wasn’t* necessary to replace 

thanks for responses!

Car seems to be in pretty solid condition. Newly rebuilt engine, new brakes all around, new clutch assembly, carpet inside is refreshed and new. 

Only complains of a slight lifter noise when car idles after a while..says it’s quiet when driving. 

There are a few spots of rust here and there,

the floor pans required small patches when the carpet was out. Surprisingly low rust in crucial areas. 

Original gas tank rusted out so he swapped a 20gal tank into it from some other vehicle..this one makes me scratch my head honestly lol

Doors and windows all intact..seals are good. All the electronics work..original wiring harness was eaten up so he swapped a new one in from a parts car donor (‘77 hatch)

its not cheap but I suppose with all the work that’s done to it, the price is reasonable.  

+1 on not replacing the lifters. My so called "back-up" race engine is pretty mildly tuned, it's an A12GX motor and the lifters are the ones that came with the motor, it's  a JDM import motor we bought in 1994. It has something like 25 race weekends and probably 50 track days. The motor is routinely buzzed to 8200 rpm.

• Thanks 1

I think you should be concerned that the owner doesn't know what he's talking about. These are not hydraulic lifters and they don't pump up. If there is a valve noise, it's likely the valves are out of adjustment.

How many miles are on this engine? Ever hear of the bathtub curve? New motors have high risk of failures. Motors that have 10K miles on them have far less risk. Motors that have 200K miles on them have high risk again.

6 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I think you should be concerned that the owner doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Most excellent advice. I think the earliest hydraulic 'lifter' was on the '83 (or very late) 280zx. It worked but replacements are NLA when they go bad. 

This engine was rebuilt approximately 1500 miles ago..

before rebuild in area  of 165k miles on engine. 

It admitted to having help from a family friend mechanic on the rebuild. Hence this guy is the one who suggested keeping the original lifters in it. 

I have not seen this vehicle yet, it’s 4 hours away and am trying to get a day together with Current owner. So you’re probably right on the noise..he didn’t mention it being a valve, but that’s not too big of an issue. 

This bathtub curve you mention is the reason for this thread..I’m slightly worried that it’s so freshly rebuilt. 

With rebuilds it’s either amazing or devastating it seems