78 620 lower heater core hose?

Speedymaru

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Speedymaru said:

Is there anything to look out for when replacing the lower hose?

As with any heater core, do not use pliers to remove the old hose. Heater cores are usually made of brass (or aluminum now days) and the hose nipples are very thin and very soft.

Hell no, not a problem not at this time of the year. That hot water from the head is either shut off or running through the heater. If you by-pass it, it goes right back into the engine un-cooled. On a very hot day this would be a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so I’ve been driving it with the bypassed heater core, and it’s been much better. Is it normal for the temp to be much lower than before? It now stays in the far cold area for about 15-20 minutes of driving, then it will go up to about 1/4 of the way to hot. Is this normal?

Replace your thermostat with a new 180-185F.  In 10 min of driving it should be into the middle of the range. Engines are designed to give best performance and mileage running at operating temp. You should get there as soon as possible. My 710 sedan was slow to warm up and stayed very low on the gauge. I took it out and it had a rubber seal that had puckered....

BzXLKjU.jpg

The thermostat can also just stick or it may be the type that fail in the open position. I never test them it's a waste of time. You have to remove and clean the surfaces and put a new gasket on anyway so just put a new one on.... and spend $10 and get a good one not a WallMart $2.99 POS either. The thermostat is crucial and has to work properly ALL the time.