Just came across some NOS 68 tail light lenses

G8KeaPoR

Yes they are new everwing lenses.  Is There any real desire for these or a desire for them to be duplicated for that matter?  Most everything I see is people using the 69+ one piece lenses instead of the 68 two piece lenses.  Let me know. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all red but if I was duplicating them I can do both. Basically you can make them in three ways.  1 is casting them with pigmented transparent resin which means one color. 2.  Is casting them in clear an then dying them before heat curing them (this was common practice until the mid 70’s.  3 is using a two color injection molding machine which I am waiting till I pay my mill off before I invest in one of those. (Hopefully before they reduce the section 179 bonus depreciation.). Anyway all reproductions will have a e,bossed text stating “Reproduced by my company name local”. ( Not trying to turn this thread into an advert. Pm me if you want my biz name) below that they will have “Made in USA”.  They will also retain all the original text including made in Japan.  This is because I don’t want to have a counterfeit claim filed against me and according to my research and my business lawyer since these aren’t patented this is how I get around that.  Still though better than repaired or no lenses.  Plus I feel like the 68 gets no love and is relegated to running the newer lights.

The NOS lenses will be worth good money on ebay. That's about the only place you're going to find a market for them, or maybe a FB group.

Reproduction lenses.. I'm not too sure. There are just so few of them out there. You might make a few bux, but it's gonna be slow going.

My thoughts on it were to make them with a disposable mold and only make them on an as needed basis.  Just selling one covers the cost of the mold so it’s not a big deal if it helps someone out.  Yeah an actual injection mold would simply be more cost than it’s worth given the low number even if there is just something about the 68 tail lights I like.  It has to make sense and that’s the only way.  I also have 4 no’s reverse lenses. Bought the extra thinking they didn’t come with the others so I am going to just sell 2 of them off the bat.   PM with realistic offers shipping to be added but those should ship continental US in the 5 buck or less box. 

21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The US got red turn signals. Canada and Europe (maybe others) got the amber ones. I had a '68 with the amber turn signals.

This one is about 40 miles from me...

Ut3a66V.jpg

Wish you still had it as I would snag that all day long.  When I was first hunting I wanted a 68 even if it was a bucket that needed a major restoration.  If you saw my 67 cabriolet bug you would know I don’t shy away from pits. It’s fun and preservation is what it’s all about after all

• Like 1

The '68 was 7 years old when I bought it for $50. ? The kid who had it just wanted what he put into it for a starter so he could get a fiver of oil. I didn't even want it. It was both my first 4 cylinder and first Datsun. Had it a year and then got a 521.

• Like 1

Lol  yeah just thinking about what that would cost adjusted for inflation.  Still I know there are some 510 hiding out in Canada and seeing that I easily imported to the US my 510 (Thanks Mackie transport) I’m not afraid of the paperwork involved ?

• 8 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 1:03 AM, Ranman72 said:

I have the euro ones on my 68 not really interested in red ones 

I have a spare set of euro ones but one corner you dont see is cracked 

always looking for spare 68 510 parts 

Pm me I’m finally recouped from my Spinal surgery. I could resin cast some rep ops if you need another set or two.  Got a bunch of silicone that is about to hit its shelf life that I’d need to use for making molds. Mine are perfect so I have good plugs to work from.  Can als do other colors like smoke or if you wanted a light pipe setup I could do some other styles. 

Edited by G8KeaPoR
  • 3 months later...