ka24de info

naz

So I was just bored so I'm posting a bunch detailed photos of ka24de head. Hopefully it might be of some use to somebody. :D Anyways everyone likes photos right?

These are of the intake as most people could probably guess. You can see the casting marks in them and other flaws that are not cleaned out at the factory. But still pretty clean compared to some factory heads

ka24deallint.jpg

ka24deintake.jpg

I didn't do all of the exhaust maybe I'll take a another photo of that later on.

ka24deexhaust.jpg

This is detailed shot of the timing chain setup on the ka24de, the timing hasn't been set on the head yet.

ka24detiming.jpg

On to the valve train setup on a ka24de

ka24devalvetrain.jpg

ka24debucket.jpg

Combustion Chamber!

ka24decomb.jpg

Finally a comparison of set of Suzuki ITB's to the intake ports on the ka24de head

ka24deitb.jpg

ka24deitb2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank's naz! You're right everyone likes pictures. Just looking answers some questions. I see there's a small quench area above the intakes and below the exhaust valves.

I have a question that pictures don't answer... what is the combustion chamber volume in CCs?

Does the stock intake have the swirl inducing valves in it like the E head?

• Like 1

Sorry I wasn't clear. On the KA24E intake there is a small butterfly valve in each runner, just before each injector. All are connected to a rod which is turned by a vacuum actuator. At high speed the valve is open and at low speeds the valves are closed, causing a slight restriction and turbulence (swirl) past the injector for better fuel mixture. I was wondering if the DE has them too.

Thanks, knowing the CCs would be great!

• Like 1
Sorry I wasn't clear. On the KA24E intake there is a small butterfly valve in each runner, just before each injector. All are connected to a rod which is turned by a vacuum actuator. At high speed the valve is open and at low speeds the valves are closed, causing a slight restriction and turbulence (swirl) past the injector for better fuel mixture. I was wondering if the DE has them too.

Thanks, knowing the CCs would be great!

16vand12vintake.jpg

The DE and E for my buddy "King Rat"

• Like 1
It's interesting that DE seems to have a little bit better positioned fuel injectors but the E uses the more conventional type fuel injectors so that would be much more reasonable to upgrade without a new fuel rail like the DE needs

you can get 600cc injectors for 250$ new for the E! They are OEM to so they are actually good quality to.

• Like 1

of course you could just get rid of the intake on DE all the way and go with those ITB's. One wonders why Nissan was so obsessed with the side feed injectors? SR/KA24DE/VG30DETT/etc,etc. They are loud, are more expensive and really just a pain in the ass.

• Like 1
16vand12vintake.jpg

The DE and E for my buddy "King Rat"

Thank you Jeff!

Sorry for the delay, thought the net was down: my cable connection under the house was bad. Hasn't worked right for a day and a half and lost track of this thread. Damn this forum is fast and busy. If you pull over for something you really get left behind!!!

King Rat

• Like 1

We have been going off on the KA discussions :D Me and Naz where hanging out and he was telling me his idea for the engine section. He thought if we had a thread for each engine with tons of pics it would be kinda handy :D I think it sparked a bit of a chat to :) The KA with ITB's really makes me want to get to work on my MegaSquirt.....

• Like 1
We have been going off on the KA discussions :D Me and Naz where hanging out and he was telling me his idea for the engine section. He thought if we had a thread for each engine with tons of pics it would be kinda handy :D I think it sparked a bit of a chat to :) The KA with ITB's really makes me want to get to work on my MegaSquirt.....

Where will I put my bastard Z series photos?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Z18ET4.jpg[/img]"]Z18ET4.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0119.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0119.jpg

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

ive been working on my l20b for a while i know how it basicly works but for the most part the ka and sr are still new i know that there a popular performance swap and there fuel injected and alot of power options on the aftermarket because there out of the 240sx im looking at the picks of the ka head since it goes from one timing chain to another i was wondering would a ka head bolt to an l20b? flow thru would be nice it would make the motor breathe alot better

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

For those installing an S14 KA into anything, and you dont want the power steering....Here is a quick modification that makes it possible to remove the power steering pump and still have a functioning belt to spin your water pump:

Slap a 12v KA water pump pulley on and use the belt (part number shown). As you tighten the pulley bolts, it pulls the belt tight. Nice clean way to solve the problem.

pulleyhr5.jpg

!!!!!UPDATE!!!!

After running this setup for a while, the belt loosens up(they naturally stretch a little) and there is no way to tighten it. So I dont recommend it.

So, in place, check this out:

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34921&highlight=power+steering+delete

I just did this conversion on my 1995 KA24DE and id does work. Your alternator is positioned about 1" farther forward so make sure that that wont screw up your radiator hoses and such.

When I did it, the upper alternator bolt would not line up with the arced slot in the upper bracket. So I slotted the lower bracket hole (the one that screws into the timing cover) This allowed some adjustment of the bracket so that the upper alternator bolt would line up. Works great and belt stays tight! Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is some more KA-DE info that might be handy to someone doing a swap.

These are things you can remove from the engine and wiring harness and still have the car function perfectly:

-Secondary (post cat) O2 sensor

-Crank angle sensor (located on transmission bell housing -S14 models)

-Intake air temp sensor -usually located in intake tube or air box, This is not used for operating the engine.

-Complete EGR system and associated sensors

-All transmission sensor/switches (except reverse switch, if you want your lights to work)

-All emissions control sensors and actuators

Here is the bare minimum for running the engine:

-Throttle position sensor

-Water temp sensor

-Knock sensor

-MAF sensor

-Injectors

-Distributor/coil

-Primary oxygen sensor

-Idle control motor

-fast idle valve

-Fuel pump

This has all been verified on my S14 KA swap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
Here is some more KA-DE info that might be handy to someone doing a swap.

These are things you can remove from the engine and wiring harness and still have the car function perfectly:

-Secondary (post cat) O2 sensor

-Crank angle sensor (located on transmission bell housing -S14 models)

-Intake air temp sensor -usually located in intake tube or air box, This is not used for operating the engine.

-Complete EGR system and associated sensors

-All transmission sensor/switches (except reverse switch, if you want your lights to work)

-All emissions control sensors and actuators

Here is the bare minimum for running the engine:

-Throttle position sensor

-Water temp sensor

-Knock sensor

-MAF sensor

-Injectors

-Distributor/coil

-Primary oxygen sensor

-Idle control motor

-fast idle valve

-Fuel pump

This has all been verified on my S14 KA swap.

great info.

Now i keep finding info but nothing really tells you the exact breakdown parts list to drop a KA into a 510.

What is required other than engine/tranny ecu?

Like fuel pump? do you need a custom driveshaft? is the stock clutch plug and play? crossmember/motor mounts? hood clearance etc. Anyone have a list?>

great info.

Now i keep finding info but nothing really tells you the exact breakdown parts list to drop a KA into a 510.

What is required other than engine/tranny ecu?

Like fuel pump? do you need a custom driveshaft? is the stock clutch plug and play? crossmember/motor mounts? hood clearance etc. Anyone have a list?>

No list, but have you seen this article? WARNING: The pics take a while to load.

Project KA

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
of course you could just get rid of the intake on DE all the way and go with those ITB's. One wonders why Nissan was so obsessed with the side feed injectors? SR/KA24DE/VG30DETT/etc,etc. They are loud, are more expensive and really just a pain in the ass.

Don't think about it from the perspective of the parts, think of it from the perspective of precision surfaces, and the processing of those surfaces; using side-feed injectors allows the manifold to have all critical pocket boring operations completed in one clamping, and therefore reduces the number of precision operations required to complete the manifold system. The injector caps are precision die cast parts, requiring zero machining. Contrast this to a conventional "top feed" injector that requires more tooling, more clamping systems, and therefore a higher overall manufacturing cost.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Man, looks like I'm a bit late to this party. I hadn't owned a KA24de until today, so I never looked here. Just went out and bought a 98 Frontier KA today from Gundies down the street. Fairly complete clean engine w/ most accessories, no tranny or wiring though, 78k mi, $975 after tax and delivered to my garage door. Real excited to get going on this project finally. I noticed the throttle body is kinda funky. Reminds me of a Holley injector-ator setup from a early 90's Dodge truck. This is probably a super rook question, but which throttle body/ intake is the best for a DOHC KA24de?

Edited by DatsuNoob
  • 2 weeks later...
can you runs double webbers on a KA24DE?

and the original 5 speed

Carbs can be adapted to any engine, I would advise against it.

By original do you mean original truck 5 speed? If so yes if you switch the bell housing.

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey do you guys know anything about removing the "flapper" assembly inside the intake manifold? I ran across it at another forum, but doent remember what it said. Seems kinda dumb, I want to take mine out. What does it do exactly? Is it kinda like a secondary TB idea? I thought it would breathe better with it outta the way, am I outta my tree? :blink: Thanks