Aftermarket Gauges Discussion

With a build upcoming this winter I’ve been researching tons of things to make it go as smooth as possible.  Recently I’ve been looking into gauges. Initially, it was for a boost and wideband to go in my center console; which is still an option. I do have an AEM Analog Style wideband now but would probably change to have a matching set. Then the scope grew and I thought about replacing my cluster’s gauges. So this is where the topic will almost diverge into two topics so I apologize, but I did not see a need for two threads.  

Firstly, I liked the look of the VDO Vision Black, but they do not offer an analog wideband that matches so I moved over to looking at the Speedhut; which I’ve read good things about. Does anyone have any pictures of the green backlighting option?  Also, does anyone have any other suggestions?  I’m drawing a blank for any brands past VDO, Speedhut, and Autometer. 

Secondly,  if someone replaces the speedometer the original odometer obviously goes with it.  You can program the new one to match and count the mileage just the same, but what effect does this swap have on future value?  Just looking for opinions on the matter.  On one hand you remove the original mileage tracker and have “tampered” with it, but on the other hand a mechanical odometer is easily tampered with and they roll over every 99k km. What say you all?

As always, thanks for any input ?

Edited by BrandonS
  • Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Critical boost control and wideband need to be more in line of sight than down on the console, just like a tachometer. Some gauges are mounted on the A pillar.

SX-306-3GP-3.jpg?1494367690

Easy to mount, visible and easy to remove if car is sold. Doesn't affect the dash gauges.

Cake....... and eat it too.

• Like 1

That's a good suggestion Mike, but for my build it's just too visible for what I have envisioned and the center console is already modded for the gauge holes so for that I'm committed.   I guess that's even more of a reason to go with the Speedhut, since they have the programmable warning LED in them.

Edited by BrandonS
  • Like 1

I use Speedhut gauges on my LS swap projects. Two things I really like about them: they are cheap and they will do custom artwork. I supplied the artwork for tachs I use to have them look like the original Toyota gauges and they look great. I also have them use my logo on the gauges.

Rick_Harris_6_Small_144_zpsis2oilft.jpg

Other options? Not many in that price range.

I don't think replacing the speedo will affect the value of the car. You can always supply the original gauges with the sale, if that is a concern.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I use Speedhut gauges on my LS swap projects. Two things I really like about them: they are cheap and they will do custom artwork. I supplied the artwork for tachs I use to have them look like the original Toyota gauges and they look great. I also have them use my logo on the gauges.

Rick_Harris_6_Small_144_zpsis2oilft.jpg

Other options? Not many in that price range.

I don't think replacing the speedo will affect the value of the car. You can always supply the original gauges with the sale, if that is a concern.

That's a pretty slick looking gauge.

• Like 1

Just as a suggestion....

I have a RHD 510 wagon, and bought a SSS Dash panel with the intention of putting a full compliment of gauges in my wagon.  I would look very closely at the sizes of the openings and gauges, and how you are going to mount them in the cluster.  They do not just bolt in there.

I went ahead and used the stock dash panel and gauges for now, but I haven't completely given up on the idea. I still have more pressing issues on my wagon that I am dealing with currently.

If you decide to go ahead and get some aftermarket gauges, I would be very interested to see how you end up with them mounted and installed.  

• Like 1

I need to go ahead and pull the cluster and do some measuring yet. At least if I can work with the stock hole sizes my plan was to design a bracket in the computer and 3D print it  I’m hoping I can utilize the factory retaining screws in the bezel and then have the adapter secure the aftermarket gauge. I do not want to modify the cluster other than removing the oem gauge. 

This thread may be of interest too you. Make sure to go back a few pages. From what I gather he shortened the length of the gauge “tunnels” to match the face diameter. Then he used PVC tubing to fashion adapters for the gauges. For the tach and speedo it looks to be straightforward with just fashioning up a metal panel; much like OE. 

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=22694&p=215297&hilit=sss+cluster#p215297

Edited by BrandonS
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, kelowg said:

Pretty sure speedhut can set the odometer to match old speedo number. Using the gps speedo and quad gauge, no issues after 6-7 yrs except shitty oem fuel sender. 

Thanks, I had saw on the FAQ on their website that they can program it to whatever you want if you put it in the notes when ordering.... it did look like the GPS ones were programmable by the user.

• Like 1

I am pretty happy with Speedhut gauges. Install was easy. Only issue I am having with them is the remote button to set the fuel gauge isnt working.... The biggest reason I went with them was the ability to choose my colors and that all the gauges would match.

Here is my Speedhut Setup.

36827329291_e30d833e67_z.jpgUntitled by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

36557042900_193340a0df_z.jpgUntitled by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've had Speedhut Revolution gauges in my 510 for 8 years, and although I can't say I haven't experienced any issues, the Revolution series has a lifetime warranty and Speedhut has honored that without exception. The 4" GPS analog speedo and tack have performed flawlessly, but the quad gauge (oil pressure, coolant temp, fuel level, and voltage) has had a few intermittent hiccups with fuel level and oil pressure. They replaced the sending units bit the issues persisted. I finally had enough and set the gauge back last week. No questions asked, they sent me a UPS slip so they can confirm, and either fix it or send a new one. ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Personally I'm more drawn to Original gauges. That opinion would change if you don't have a stock dash, though, like Demo243's post. Then having aftermarket gauges would be a GREAT idea.

I know you mentioned the mechanics of the gauge being your primary concern, but if you want to keep the old gauges and just wanted to actually see them at night, LED lights make things a helluvalot brighter. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BambooU said:

Very seamless. I'm sure it cuts down on the rats next behind the dash, too! I dig the old radio inset with the new sleek panel. Looks good ?

Thanks. Radio is a Retrosound that has bluetooth so I can stream and also make/receive hands-free calls. It has an old school AM radio dial sticker over the display to look kind of factory, but the display also shines thru.

YSSdGxF.jpg

n1IG12Q.jpg

• Like 2

TCLeSKw.jpg

I prefer the original gauges as the colored LED ones are not only gimmicy but out of place on anything older than the 90s. But this is just me. If you grew up with flash then it would seem the norm. This above looks like a great compromise. At first glance looks like a 620. It's different but not glaringly so. Well done.

• Like 1

Ha ha...

The 620 dimmer switch is pretty much the most useless/unused thing Nissan ever made. To satisfy DOT rules all cars must have dim-able dash lights. The 620 has the least bright dash lights of almost any Datsun (my 710 dash lights are the shits too) so what good is that dimmer? It just has to be there to satisfy DOT.  If I had a dollar for every time I reached down to check that it was at max brightness......

My wife's Toyota dash is so bright I can hardly see out the window. Had to find the dimmer in the manual.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...