How necessary is 510 steering box brace - DP Racing type?

rosso

I would imagine about 12lb. lighter. I'd like to know if the L20 and SR20 had the flywheel intake and exhaust still on when weighed. I've seen the 280lb. number on the internet but have no idea what level of dress the engine was.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, paradime said:

I would imagine about 12lb. lighter. I'd like to know if the L20 and SR20 had the flywheel intake and exhaust still on when weighed. I've seen the 280lb. number on the internet but have no idea what level of dress the engine was.

They should be weighted complete with clutch IMO, anything less and the data is being skewed.  

• Like 2

Agree. Should be weighed as it's lifted out. Oil and water, alternator, fan, manifolds and carb, distributor complete, engine brackets, flywheel and clutch... complete and ready to run.

The Car KAs are heavier than the truck KAs.

• 1 month later...

I had a Design Products brace on my car for about the last year or so it was running.  I was autocrossing once a month and a few track days all with 225 BFG Rivals.  When I removed my steering for the JBC rack kit I noticed that the brace had torn through the shock tower sheetmetal. 

IMG-8214.jpg

Yup the brace should spread the force over a large area and have a large backing plate on the wheel side to sandwich the strut tower.

While this one is very cute...

On 11/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, shane4x4toy said:

DatSteerBrace2.jpg  

I think this is the best version I have seen to bad technoversions.com  stopped producing they had the best price too. Lets get the demand up for some one to do another run.

... it doesn't really support much.