anyone wanna throw me a bone here?

hey there datsun community, i’ve been putting this off for a bit but it’s getting concerning. my brakes are either original to the car or were changed a while before i got it, but either way i wanna replace them. with older vehicles though (especially my 210) it scares me when i get the wheel off and stare em in the face because it’s not that i don’t know what i’m doing, i just don’t want to get them off and then not be able to put it back together. there’s a lot of stuff that i just don’t wanna fuck up down there i guess and i want someone who’s maybe changed em before to be there and help me, but that’s not exactly possible. does anyone have a way they can explain to me how to do this? because there’s like a weird looking spring clip and a few other things that are freaking me out. a while back i did my heater core assembly and that worked out pretty good, but i found someone who printed stuff out for me with pictures and directions and that actually helped me grasp the concept and i could probably do it with my eyes closed now. it’d be cool if i could get something like that for my brakes. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

What about a Chilton or Haynes service manual, or the factory service manual (FSM) if you can find it?

i’ve been looking for those cute little books you can find at oreileys that has everything on one specific make of car (the chilton ones, read a bunch in jail) but i can’t find it. can’t find my owners manual either beings i got the car without it lol. idk what to do, i’m just trying to learn and it seems the internet hates the 210 because i can’t find anything on it.

https://www.amazon.com/1981-Datsun-210-Owners-Manual/dp/B01GDRDS4S

You want the Nissan factory service manual (FSM) for your year of 210. The rest just do a poor job of coppying the FSM.

http://www.2040-parts.com/1981-nissan-datsun-210-service-manual-air-condition-manual-install-guide-i1973247/

Took 7 min on line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brakes are easy if the are already semi functional. Take pics with your phone as you take them apart and even better do one at a time and use the other side as an example of how things go back together. The spring removal tool that looks like a threaded screwdriver is cheap and works well for spring removal. look for signs of leakage or better yet just buy new wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, and softlines and don't worry for 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 6:46 PM, datzenmike said:

https://www.amazon.com/1981-Datsun-210-Owners-Manual/dp/B01GDRDS4S

You want the Nissan factory service manual (FSM) for your year of 210. The rest just do a poor job of coppying the FSM.

http://www.2040-parts.com/1981-nissan-datsun-210-service-manual-air-condition-manual-install-guide-i1973247/

Took 7 min on line.

I love doing this 

GOOGLE IS

YOUR FRIEND 

Holy fuck I never pry them off using the backing plate or hammer the wheel lugs out to change my shoes. It never crossed my mind!!!  Here I've been doing it wrong all these years. I just tighten in two bolts into the threaded holes in the drum and tap around with a hammer back and forth. Well, you learn something new every day!

• Like 2