BRAKES ON A 1981 210, NEED ASSISTANCE

zacc

hey there datsun community, i’ve been putting this off for a bit but it’s getting concerning. my brakes are either original to the car or were changed a while before i got it, but either way i wanna replace them. with older vehicles though (especially my 210) it scares me when i get the wheel off and stare em in the face because it’s not that i don’t know what i’m doing, i just don’t want to get them off and then not be able to put it back together. does anyone have a way they can explain to me how to do this? because there’s like a weird looking spring clip and a few other things that are freaking me out. a while back i did my heater core assembly and that worked out pretty good, but i found someone who printed stuff out for me with pictures and directions and that actually helped me grasp the concept and i could probably do it with my eyes closed now. it’d be cool if i could get something like that for my brakes. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has a digital camera. Take lots of pictures while taking them apart. Draw pictures if you have to.

Have several cans of brake cleaner spray, a wire brush, lots of clean old rags, vice-grips, screw drivers to pry with. Nissan drums usually have two threaded holes in them you can screw a bolt into that will bottom on the axle hub and force the drum outward. You don't want to tighten them so that they strip but they can help getting stubborn brake drums off. I don't know the thread/bolt size but it will be metric... usually with a 12mm head?

Previous owners may have put the shoes on incorrectly. The linings are not centered on the shoe, usually closer to one end. Towards the front of the car the leading shoe should have the liner closer to the adjuster at the bottom and farther away from the wheel cylinder at the top. The shoe to the rear should have the opposite with the lining closer to the wheel cylinder than the adjuster at the bottom.

>>>> forward

497d9fd71364a7620fc3cac92163e644-l.jpg Shoe lining is closer to the wheel cylinder on the rear and farther away on the front side.

If you have them reversed on one side the car will pull to the opposite side that is working properly and can even lock up before the other side. If reversed on both sides, it will stop better backing up than going forward.

If there are short and long linings the shorter ones go to the front or direction of forward travel..

<<<<< front

2013-03-21131339_zpsf6e9efbe.jpg

• Like 1