Z22 Engine charging, starting, and ignition wiring

mamanee69

New owner and new member.  Truck seems to be in fairly good shape.  I'm looking forward to my first DIY project.  Have noticed a couple hoses as well as what I thing would be air hoses that are missing or not attached.  I'm hoping to find some diagrams to begin my comparison to.  Any help would be appreciated..

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Im wanting to get rid of the big jumbled up mess of wires under the hood. i figured it'll be best to just start over from the battery. i know that the positive battery cable runs down to the starter. and i know where my negative cable hooks too. iIgot a 86 Nissan z24i wiring harness in the truck. (useless to me at this point). Im putting a z22 back into the truck. its got a weber, mechanical fuel pump and vacuum advance distributor so there's not many wires that's needed i don't believe. Ive already got a wire running from my start/run source on the ignition switch through a fuse(what size fuse would i need to use ) for the ignition system already spliced for the two positive coil terminals and i know that the two negative wires will come from the distributor to the negative side of the coils.So pretty well I'm needing to know the rest of the charging and starting wiring routes or if there's anything that im overlooking . also if anyone happens to know which wires behind the cluster are for the oil pressure switch and temperature sender that'd be great. Thanks in Advance

You already have a post on this truck.  https://ratsun.net/topic/74440-1986-d21-w-zmotor-inspect-and-repair/?tab=comments#comment-1584794  Multiple posts lead to multiple and duplicate answers and much confusion. Not everyone will be on the same page. If you feel your original topic has changed you can go to your first post and change the title. I can also merge the other one with this one if you prefer?

If putting a Z22 back into the truck did it have one in it before or are you saying that you are replacing the Z24i with a Z22?????

The water temp sender (under the top rad hose on the intake) and the oil pressure sender (half way up side of block under the intake) on the Z24i and the Z22 are in the same place just connect the D21 harness up to it and the gauge will work. 

yeah i was questioning whether i should keep it in the same thread or not lol. You can go ahead an combine them though .i appreciate it. And yes I'm replacing the z24i with the z22. I'm wanting to pretty well make my own engine wiring harness so i can get rid of the big pile of wires on the fender wells that not being used anymore.

I wouldn't advise this. You  have everything you need on this harness. Headlights/parking and side marker, charging system, all the fusible links, reverse lights from the transmission, start, oil and temp senders. Just cut off the sensor wires for the Z24i that are not needed. Somewhere on the throttle body is a switched 12 volt source that will power the choke heater and idle cut for the carb. Trim away unneeded wires and cover the rest with plastic split harness covering to neaten it up.

Oh ok i didn't know i could just clip them and cover them up. i figured it'd leave a bunch of open circuits or something and give me problems. That works for me though. I'll be able to get rid of quite a few in that case. Ive got a wire already ran for the choke and idle cutoff switch so that wont be an issue neither.

Hell yeah. i know what Im doing tomorrow then as long as this rain holds out. Ive been wanting to get rid of that mess for a long time. You sir never fail to answer a question and steer me in the right direction. You should get paid for doing this stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

That sucks. I figured out that the old harness was shot as alot of the wires were melted together between the firewall and computer. I have no idea what happened there. Ive always had crazy electrical issues with the truck. At one point my neighbors would tell me my lights in the front would come on randomly throughout the night and flicker.So im going to attempt to rewire the truck. i was thinking it would be be best  strting with starting/charging section of wiring. This is a diagram that i am attempting to work with. the only part that stumps me is the two wires coming from the alternator and how to tell them apart.

Also i was wanting your input mike on what do you think i should do in this situation? am i headed in the right direction? or should i invest in one of those universal wiring harness?

wiring_1.jpg

• 5 months later...

alright so i have installed a painless performance chassis wiring harness. its turning over fine, getting fuel, but no spark at the distributor. there are 4 wires coming from the distributor. 2 of them are hooked to the negative side of the coils. 1 of them is spliced into the 12 volt ignition soure wire that feeds power to the coils. and the last white wire is left unhooked. Is there something that im missing? maybe a ground