'82 4x4 Axle question

82puptruck

Hi folks- 

Brand new to the forum, brand new to the truck.  Just picked up an '82 720 4x4 LB and very excited.  I know nothing about this truck, but I remember them from my childhood and one literally popped up in my backyard so I had to jump.  Lot's to learn, but firs and foremost I need some Axel help.  Here's the deal:

- Left front Axel has inboard/outboard play of about 1"-2" into and out of the diff.  

- Inboard boot is in 2 pieces

- Front left wheel "howls" when in free, but is fine when hub is locked

I would love to get this thing up and running asap, and I'd love to find someone near me who knows these things and likes to service them.  I am in Massachusetts and looking for someone to fix it, anyone know of some leads?

Next, I might need an Axel but damn if I can find one.  Anyone have a line on how to get axels for this truck?

I look forward to years of great convo and wheeling in the Datsun.

Oh yeah, this thing only has 51k original miles!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. I am sure some IFS 720 guys will be able to answer your questions. 

i would recommend picking up a shop manual for your truck and getting to know how the front end works and where all the maintenance points are. 

14 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Welcome. I am sure some IFS 720 guys will be able to answer your questions. 

i would recommend picking up a shop manual for your truck and getting to know how the front end works and where all the maintenance points are. 

Thanks, I look forward to some more replies.  The truck actually came with original service manual, Clymer, and Hanes.  I intend to learn A LOT about how to maintain this myself and I plan on doing as much of the maintenance as possible, but I want to use the truck now and I am afraid of damaging in the current state.  Want to get a good "once-over" to make sure it's strong and then maintain/learn myself.

• Like 1

An original FSM is white cover with blue and red lettering. It will have the year it's intended for, it will say 'printed for Nissan' and will be almost 2" thick. Clymer and Haynes are intended for all years and models of 720 and are no where near specific enough for your year of 720. If you don't have this, go on line and get the correct one on e-Bay.

Front driveshafts are NLA so you will have to look in wrecking yards for them or maybe they can be rebuilt.

9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Where are you in Massachusetts?

I live in leominster....

I am in Ashland, so metrowest.  I am bringing the vehicle to http://www.jwhitesautomotive.com for a once-over.  I think the issue might be that something is loose/missing in the lf hub hence the axel play in/out of the hub/diff and the howl when the lf hub is unlocked... feels like a cavitation almost.

Would love to meet up sometime and show off the truck, get pointers etc.  What do you have?

35 minutes ago, 82puptruck said:

I am in Ashland, so metrowest.  I am bringing the vehicle to http://www.jwhitesautomotive.com for a once-over.  I think the issue might be that something is loose/missing in the lf hub hence the axel play in/out of the hub/diff and the howl when the lf hub is unlocked... feels like a cavitation almost.

Would love to meet up sometime and show off the truck, get pointers etc.  What do you have?

Your not to far away.... I work just over in Worcester so meeting up is possible, maybe one day after work on a Saturday I'm usually done by noon....

I have a 72 521 pickup..... me and mainer311 both have 521s and are going to Japanese car days on the 14th over in Brookline..... probably the most datsuns you'll see at one time in this area....

Screenshot_20180808-081513_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
1 hour ago, 82puptruck said:

That looks like a great event.  I'll put it in my calendar and check with the "boss" if I can go, might bring my son.  He'd like it.

How old is your son?

Mine is 6 almost 7.... 

He likes to go to the shows and car cruises with me, but hes not going to that one.... 

But if yours is young enough that they can play together we could definitely come by on a weekend... I'll send you a private message with my contact info...

Damn that looks good. Must have never been driven in the winter. Don't drive it when they salt the roads the bed seam is extremely prone to rust. I have an 82 720  4x4 and the front axles are nla also they are not rebuild able like the later ones. Replace your boots and yes it is a messy ass job but try to save what you have. That model should have the extra low gearing in the differentials. I have always kept an eye for one of those for parts. Congrats on the find and your questions might be answered quicker on the 720 forum section.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, bottomwatcher said:

Damn that looks good. Must have never been driven in the winter. Don't drive it when they salt the roads the bed seam is extremely prone to rust. I have an 82 720  4x4 and the front axles are nla also they are not rebuild able like the later ones. Replace your boots and yes it is a messy ass job but try to save what you have. That model should have the extra low gearing in the differentials. I have always kept an eye for one of those for parts. Congrats on the find and your questions might be answered quicker on the 720 forum section.

Thanks for the info.  Unsure how much it was driven in the winter, but seems like very little.  Thinking of undercoating it to help protect it.  I will check out the 720 section, thanks.

1 hour ago, 82puptruck said:

Thanks for the info.  Unsure how much it was driven in the winter, but seems like very little.  Thinking of undercoating it to help protect it.  I will check out the 720 section, thanks.

If your gonna undercoat it something like por 15 would be a better choice... I dont believe undercoating will rust proof.. but I could be wrong.... I looked into it with my datsun doing the bed and stuff, and they said they generally like newer vehicles before it actually starts to rust.... so just be aware...

There are a few options out there but I dont really know the names of the product.... we have a spray at work that prevents parts from rusting and works good when applied to already rusty material....