Hot LZ23

Bastard_510

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exposed threads (beside not of any use inside the combustion chamber, are a possible hot spot and ignition source. Electrodes should be oriented so the ground strap is away from the intake valve and not shrouding the tip. Does it work? Allegedly is makes a very small gain.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

happy new year all.  i have been challenged to a dyno day between troy emish's rebello 2360 10:1(from what i know) vs my lz23. i don't know what the point is since he didn't build his engine but whatever. so whoever wanted to see a dyno sheet you'll get it. i got the head on yesterday. the carbs have been mocked up and little problems have been fixed. i have to find shorter screws for the idler sprocket because the ones provided are too long. i didnt know there was a difference between the 6 cyl and 4cyl timing components so i had to modify the idler to fit a 4cyl. lash pads, clutch, light ka flywheel, harmonic dampener, water pump,  and fuel fittings are being ordered soon. 

83-C3-D5-FB-1250-4995-899-A-50-AD8-DC8-D

285-B6470-DDE8-46-CA-AA13-273-E2-FB05885

F3014-C30-6-E04-44-E8-BAE2-48-E51-BEF9-B

0-C129-F82-C065-460-F-976-B-0-D2-CCF398-

C17109-E7-DEE9-4-F15-8166-52-F08-A0-C9-D

Edited by Bastard_510
  • Like 1

I always tap the timing guide and tensioner bolt holes to 1/4-28, so I can use grade 8 hardware.

Surely the carbs aren't mounting directly to the manifold, right? That's just for pics?

Looks very nice.

BTW- Troy may not have built this 2360, but he has built plenty of engines, and has thousands of hours of tuning experience. I would prepare to be crushed.

13 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Surely the carbs aren't mounting directly to the manifold, right? That's just for pics?

On 12/31/2019 at 11:12 AM, Bastard_510 said:

the carbs have been mocked up and little problems have been fixed.

fixes: slotting the manifold holes so the ports line up right and cutting the tab between the carbs because it was too long. 

Looks very nice.

thank you

BTW- Troy may not have built this 2360, but he has built plenty of engines, and has thousands of hours of tuning experience. I would prepare to be crushed.

crushed?  I really dont care to be honest with you. troy challenged me.  im about half troy's age. i did all the work for my engine (honing valve guides, porting, measuring, boring and honing cylinders, cutting out-installing-and cutting new valve seats, crack repair, decking....). what did troy do for his? so  i think its fair to say my engine is really going against rebello. rebello is three...maybe even 4 times my age so ill respect it if i come up short in power. im only doing this to see how much power my engine makes...not to give someone an ego boost. you all are welcome to come and watch when its ready. ill blow mine up if i have to.

10 hours ago, Bastard_510 said:

crushed?  I really dont care to be honest with you. troy challenged me.  im about half troy's age. i did all the work for my engine (honing valve guides, porting, measuring, boring and honing cylinders, cutting out-installing-and cutting new valve seats, crack repair, decking....). what did troy do for his? so  i think its fair to say my engine is really going against rebello. rebello is three...maybe even 4 times my age so ill respect it if i come up short in power. im only doing this to see how much power my engine makes...not to give someone an ego boost. you all are welcome to come and watch when its ready. ill blow mine up if i have to.

Good for you. I wasn't sure how you felt about the challenge from what you told me earlier. Learn from it, have fun, but don't blow your shit up trying to beat him.

Confidence is king and will get you far.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, datzenmike said:

How the hell do you get challenged by Troy Ermish? Or is this just a TE engine someone has that's challenged you??

Troy saw my comment on a guys post asking about specs for his 290 duration cam. I told the guy 290 most likely mean duration and it would be ok to run on a 11.5-12:1 engine on pump gas as it was listed. A guy named Steven argued it was too small of a cam for pump gas. Troy got involved after i started my lz23 has a 284 duration cam and is 12:1. Troy said he wants to dyno both. So i agreed to the bet thinking it was going to be a friendly thing. He wants a show With a local car club at the dyno session watching. so it’s not a secret. I only changed my mind about it after the bragging and the “I’ve been doing datsuns for 20 years” statement. I corrected him on a comment he made and he went off. That’s how. It’s a rebello 2360

Edited by Bastard_510
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 5 weeks later...

If you havint bought one already the godzilla raceworksflywheel works well, you do have to run a 240mm clutch but its light and cheap. They sell the centering ring too. You can use arp ka24 flywheel bolts or RB ones. Rb ones are just barely short enough.

Im just about ready to do a pull with my 2300 with the 50”s on it. I also bought a steve bonk - don potter replica cam to try out. I want to do back to back pulls with 2 different cams so we all have good data.

Im interested to see this one vs mine as we have similar combos other than open/closed chamber heads. Still 12:1.

put a 125 shot on it and thank me after :)

1 minute ago, scooter said:

If you havint bought one already the godzilla raceworksflywheel works well, you do have to run a 240mm clutch but its light and cheap. They sell the centering ring too. You can use arp ka24 flywheel bolts or RB ones. Rb ones are just barely short enough.

Im just about ready to do a pull with my 2300 with the 50”s on it. I also bought a steve bonk - don potter replica cam to try out. I want to do back to back pulls with 2 different cams so we all have good data.

Im interested to see this one vs mine as we have similar combos other than open/closed chamber heads. Still 12:1.

put a 125 shot on it and thank me after :)

Just like when i recommended those fittings to you...you’re a few days late. I have a 11.5 lbs flywheel with a act street clutch 275ftlbs rating. 

Steve is an interesting guy. Did you do any math on the ECR or just winging it? Are you reving higher to make up for the larger Chokes or are you choking the 50’s down?  

bring it Canuck :)

The engine wasn’t put together with nitrous in mind so no. 

if i get enough done tomorrow I’ll be able to put the engine in this weekend and have the drive shaft by next Thursday. 

• Like 1

Yep 🙂

i ran an act hdg-6 clutch for a while and it was good. I only changed cause i went to a 240mm clutch. I may order an act pp cause the exedy ones are 5000 pounds. All the weight i lost on the flywheel i gained back on the pressure plate. Im not thrilled with it but the gf can drive it now and doesnt die on the drag strip.

Im winging it to be honest. With steves cam im expecting maybe slightly less peak but more torque/ avg hp overall. Theoretically it should pick up on the bottle going from a 102 lsa to a 109.

as for the carbs i wanna see what they run out of the box. They came with 46mm chokes. I thought they were going to have 42’s. Last year it had  more on top on the bottle than n/a which makes me think it was bottlenecked (you could feel it lay over n/a but didnt drop off spraying) so we will see if it winds out to 8000+ now. My motor also  has shorter rods but thats a whole ‘nother conversation.

33 minutes ago, Bastard_510 said:

the 48dco sp has 42’s stock. That’s what my displacement and rpm called for. 8k? What in the hell is your piston speed? 

mines just a standard disk 

*with potter’s cam 😉

Not quite it has wider lsa.

Piston speed is same as yours 92mm stroke looking at 5100ish fpm at 8500. Thats leaning on it real hard. 8000 is doable i saw 8000 on spray for a couple bottles worth last year. 

i thought these were comming with 42’s so im kinda bummed but we’ll see how it is. I may get the 42 chokes and back to back dyno that as well to see 

I ran the 225mm 6 puck and had no problems with slip at all. You probably have the same pp but with the organic disc which should be fine. Better for the street.