Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

Guess I should have said 2.5" coil coilovers, which look like they would fit with a simple gusseted top hoop coming off the frame.

I still don't think they will fit. It looks like there is room in the pics. There is only 3.1" between the tire and frame. With suspension travel you will get positive camber. The frame is 2.25" wide. I plan to use 2" of that and build some reinforcement for the frame. ? ? We'll see how it works out.:unsure:

I will try to get something set up for a get together. I can bring a grinder and some glasses, and we can all just start grindin' stuff

Thanks Kya - Just set it up to meet, I have plenty of tools! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the words of encouragement and suggestions. Please keep them comming. This is why I love this forum, it's OUR project.

Thanks guys - I'll keep the pics comming! I know that's what everyone wants!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob,

I think what all of us are trying to suggest it to use an shorter aftermarket coilover shock in the front and the rear. Trying looking at the bottom of this page to see the set fitted on the front of a 620 pickup, you could do the same.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1816&page=11

You could do the same by mounting them to your lower control arm and building an upper mount on the frame.

Just my 2 cents,

Abe

I never would have thought to take on a project like this before. Even as a fabricator myself. But you are making this look too damn easy and very appealling. :rolleyes: DAMN I LIKE IT!!!!

Hell, it looks like you could even mount a spare up in there.

Keep it up.

I never would have thought to take on a project like this before. Even as a fabricator myself. But you are making this look too damn easy and very appealling. :rolleyes: DAMN I LIKE IT!!!!

Hell, it looks like you could even mount a spare up in there.

Keep it up.

Or a ballast weight for handling :D

i was trying to photoshop this but it wasent working cut the frame where the mounts are the switch sides that way the mounts are on the outside giving you room for shocks granted you would then have to re connect the frame but its doable

mx520chop.jpg

Well the shocks are in! I measured the shock mount height of a miata as compared to the top of the subframe. The shock hat mounts 2.75" above the point where the subframe mounts. I made cutouts 3" above the subframe. I only cut out a portion of the frame rail. It measures out great! These are not the shocks and springs I'll be using. These are just some old stock stuff that I took off the donor car. The springs & coilovers will lower the truck 3" or so and I'll adjust it from there.

mx52011-30-08013.jpg

mx52012-7-08002.jpg

mx52012-7-08004.jpg

mx52012-7-08006.jpg

mx52012-7-08007.jpg

mx52012-7-08009.jpg

mx52012-7-08011.jpg

mx52012-7-08003.jpg

mx52012-7-08010.jpg

I still need to finish up the frame cutouts and shock hat brackets. But that's no big deal. I'm fired up that it fits so well!:D There is 1.5" tire clearance at the top! I can't believe it, NO BED MODS NEEDED! It just bolts back on!

• Like 1
Just out of curiosity what is the length of the spring/shock setup? And what is the spring rates of the MX stuff?

The stock shocks that are on my truck now are 14" long, the shocks on my son Tommys car are 11". This is measured from the bottom bolt hole to the top of the hat where it mounts.

The Miata race car runs spec suspension, 700lb front spring & 325lb rear. I plan to run 550lb front & 275lb rear on the MX520.

Edited by Bob3
clarification
  • Like 1

This a slide show that my son Tommy put together for his first season racing cars. I didn't know he knew how to do that.:blink:

You notice the crashed car. That was mid season, we built another car, that one was totaled. I need to get the MX520 done before the race season starts back up and I have no time to "play".:P

• Like 1

More pics! I set the bed back on tonight just cuz I had to see it! :D

Remember it will be 3" lower.

mx52012-8-08013.jpg

Left rear -

mx52012-8-08016.jpg

Right rear -

mx52012-8-08018.jpg

mx52012-8-08022.jpg

Look at that BAD BOY!:eek:

mx52012-8-08024.jpg

• Like 1