Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekend update:

My new motor mounts. Note the trans mount is not built yet.

MX52011-22-08016.jpg

My new trans mount.

MX52011-22-08022.jpg

I removed ALOT of the floor.

MX52011-22-08024.jpg

MX52011-22-08023.jpg

The new floor and trans tunnel are comming together! :eek:

MX52011-22-08029.jpg

Thats it for now.

well not in that sense. what i mean is to redo the whole truck like a 240 or redo it like a miata. this seems easier.

dwnshfter - Don't worry about it. I'm having so much fun on this project, I just can't tell you. I've always wanted to do something like this. This is my first attempt at a motor swop, & my first Ratsun & my first "Hot Rod" :eek:

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do each time I go out into my shop - I just use the force! The only problem is I keep dreaming about it and I wake up with all these CRAZY ideas in my head. I'm like a little kid with a new toy!

• Like 1

Bob:

Love the idea that your basically hitting this blind. Go with what feels good a the moment. For not having a "plan" this is turning out pretty awesome.

The floor looks great in the photos. Nice fab work on the mounts as well.

Keep it up.

Man, your first attempt at a motor swap, and you couldn't have done something more complicated. Most people start with, say, an L series or something, and don't end up swapping in 2 subframes, and cutting out the entire floor of the vehicle! Looks awesome though, can't wait to see what it ends up like.

I too wake up in the wee hours of the night, with a new idea of something to do on the 510. Kinda nice sometimes to be out working on the car at 2am.

I haven't had time to do any work on the MX520. So today is the day to spend a little quality time in the shop.

I woke up to this, looking off my back deck.

snow11-30-08001.jpg

I had to shovel a path to my shop.

snow11-30-08002.jpg

OK - I'll quit bitching, it is 68 degrees in there. :fu:

The shop needs a couch Bob!:D That way you dont have to go all the way the the hotel. Is the pedal cluster mounted high like the 521s, or will it be a bit lower? How is the foot room looking? I know we had talked about the distance from the front of the footwell, to where you will sit...how is that conming along?

Sure wish I had more time to come down there on a regular basis:confused:

I am really pumped about your project man, it's like you are the pioneer on some new frontier expedition.:cool:

Looks great Bob...say "HI" to the fam.

When we gonna do another Coloratsun day at the shop? We should try soon eh?

Stop posting pictures of snow, your making me jealous.

The truck is looking great. I really like your project. Seeing as this is going to be a track toy, are you going to put a cage in it? What about modifications to the engine, suspension, and brakes? Very cool build.

Today I dug into the rear sub assy. My twin boys and I removed the bed. That wasn't too bad, I thought it would be tougher.

Here's the MX520 with no bed.

mx52011-30-08001.jpg

Shots of the rear sub assy from a few angles. It's not mounted yet.

mx52011-30-08004.jpg

mx52011-30-08006.jpg

mx52011-30-08008.jpg

mx52011-30-08012.jpg

mx52011-30-08010.jpg

Here's a look at the SHOCK CLEARANCE problem.

mx52011-30-08013.jpg

I'm planning to notch the frame for clearance. This week I'll start fabbing some mounts. We'll see how it goes. I'll post more pics as I get more done.

Is the pedal cluster mounted high like the 521s, or will it be a bit lower? How is the foot room looking? I know we had talked about the distance from the front of the footwell, to where you will sit...how is that conming along?

I haven't started on that yet. I need to finish up the firewall. It is looking like there will be the same distance and room as stock.

When we gonna do another Coloratsun day at the shop? We should try soon eh?

Set it up. I'm game.:)

The truck is looking great. I really like your project. Seeing as this is going to be a track toy, are you going to put a cage in it? What about modifications to the engine, suspension, and brakes? Very cool build.

I don't plan a cage YET. I hope to keep it stock looking, just low with 17's. I only plan very mild engine mods. I should have about 130 wheel horse power. Suspension will have the Spec Miata "Spec" suspension, this includes Bilstein shocks with coilovers, Eibach springs and sway bars. Brakes will use stock rotors and calipers, Hawk Blue pads and stainless steel brake lines. This should be over kill as this truck will be 200 to 300 lbs lighter than a miata race car. I may have to use a less agressive rear brake pad. I'll know when I take it out for testing.

Looks like you might have room for a set of coilovers without having to actually notch the frame or the bed...no?

I am using coilovers. I will still need to make some more room.

Gotta go shovel some snow. :rolleyes:

I think Matt was talking about a aftermarket coil-over, not the stock Miata shock. A aftermarket shock would also be a lot shorter and smaller in diameter, thus would allow you make a bracket that comes off of the side of the frame, without notching it. It would also allow you to easily change out the springs for when you want to carry turn workers and such and adjust for ride height.

Monte

BOB...you know this thing is gonna be flippin sweet when its done man!!!:cool::D

I will try to get something set up for a get together. I can bring a grinder and some glasses, and we can all just start grindin' stuff:lol: