Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

I have a idea on the rear shock/coil-over problem, I might be running into the same problem as you,since I am using Miata suspension parts, with the limited height available between the lower "a" arm and the frame.

DSC00014.jpg

I have been thinking of using a push-rod and bell crank setup and putting the coil-overs horizontal between the frame rails , to keep the total rear end assy. as low as possible. Just a idea that I am throwing out there.

Monte

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking of using a push-rod and bell crank setup and putting the coil-overs horizontal between the frame rails , to keep the total rear end assy. as low as possible. Just a idea that I am throwing out there.

Monte

That is a good idea. I'll take some measurements this weekend. I'll also try and "mock up" the rear subframe assy and post some pics.

• Like 1

This weekend is trashed Bob.:rolleyes:

Maybe next week?

Here are some other pics for all you guys that are just like me!!!!:D

The original sub-frame concept:

Colorado1133.jpg

The original mock-up in the engine bay:

Colorado1135.jpg

The really cool truck...no motor yet...great looking though!:cool:

OK - It's Saturday morning and we have what looks like 2" of snow. I'm going through the mail and the new issue of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine just came (Dec. '08). If any of you guys get this check out page 152. They have a picture of my son Tommy in there. Pretty cool.

It's time to walk out to my shop and have some fun working on the MX520 :D I'll try and get some updated pics of what I get done. I don't know what that'll be, but who cares, I've got all winter to get it done! :P

Well - I got the Miata motor mounted. I had to cut out the firewall and most of the tunnel. I also got the front shock tops mounted. I left my camera at work. I'll get some pics up in the next few days. I'm tired.:cool:

Whaaa! Your fourteen! DAMN!!!! At that age I was lucky that my dad's Econoline broke down and I fixed it. I learn to pull in and out in the drive way... NICE!!!! Keep it up!!!!!

You must have seen the pic of my son in GRM. Pretty cool Huh.:eek:

Dang! Your family are all racing guy's no? Your father sounded like a really cool guy. :cool:

Really nice project man. Will the turbo miata engine fit this setup though? That would be a sweet upgrade in the future if one ever presents itself.

Keep it up!

I really wonder what I would of accomplished if I started to driving at a younger age. The next generation, its going to be diffrent. :cool:

This is my son Tommy. Yes he is 14 years old. He is the youngest nationally liscensed race car driver in the USA. Never before has a fourteen year old been allowed to compete at this level or in a National Championship Road Race! :eek:

tommysfirstrace.jpg

This was taken at his first race in March '08. He was 14 years 2 months old.

• Like 1

They also seem like thoughtful, well adjusted kids...on top of being cool becuase they race!:D

I am off today, but I am not going to be able to make it...I don't think anyway:rolleyes:

Sent you a PM too.:cool:

How far back is the firewall cut?

Bob,

As I read the first page, I also thought that the bell crank may solve your clearence issues - Monte beat me to it. But I have seen this done on 620's and 720's using the stock Datsun rear axle.

I can't get a good look at your set up, so I'm not sure, but on the set ups that I have seen, the coil over unit mounted parelell to the frame rail, with the rear end of the coil over linked to a bell crank, whick was in turn mounted to the axle. Maybe this could get worked into your IRS, and save from cutting into the box, which wouldn't look so good.

Nice build, I'll watch this one.

Byron

Bob,

wow 14 years old, man I need to get on the ball with my own kids, Karting season is upon us here in norcal and I hope they enjoy it as much as i since I'm just a big overgrown kid myself LOL...

Love the project bob I was thinking to myself why am I the only one that has ever used the miata suspension as I loved how everything is on a cradle and is perfect for any scratch built project like yours. my project is not the truck buts its in a datsun roadster. wish I could figure out how to post pic

Here are some pics of the destruction so far!

CopyofMX520Motortransshots002.jpg

CopyofMX520Motortransshots001.jpg

CopyofMX520Motortransshots003.jpg

CopyofMX520Motortransshots008.jpg

CopyofMX520Motortransshots010.jpg

CopyofMX520Motortransshots011.jpg

I need to finish up the motor mounts next. Then I'll mount the tail of the trannie. Then I'm going to graft the Miata floorpan / firewall / trans tunnel. This will prove to be a bit of a task, but should be too cool:D

I've decided to get the front half of the project pretty much done and then move to the back. So those of you interested in the rear end will have to wait. Although if you come up with any ideas or PICS of what to do this please post them!

I'll put up more as I get it.:)

Edited by Bob3

not a bad fit over all looks good you probibly could have spared the firewall if you had gone rotory but i dont blame you rotory sucks

here are some shots of a traxxas revo obviously its not a real car but the suspention may be adapted for the back

revosusspention2.jpg

revosusspention1.jpg

Edited by bonvo

Got my Grassroots Motorsports today, saw the picture of your son. Great way for a youngster to stay out of trouble. Congratulations to him and his parents.

Looks like the engine sits about 2" back into the firewall. Shouldn't be that difficult to close up....I've done, uh, I mean seen worse. Hey I was a lot younger then, and that Buick V-6 just wouldn't quite fit. This is a very innovative, and entertaining project....carry on.

Looks like the engine sits about 2" back into the firewall. Shouldn't be that difficult to close up....I've done, uh, I mean seen worse.

I plan to cut out ALOT more of the stock firewall. Just a little at a time. My plan is to use as much of the Miata firewall as I can. Two reasons: 1 - It has a two inch recess built in just over the trans tunnel. This is good because the floor behind the pedals is the same as stock. 2 - The drivers side is set up for the pedal assy to just bolt in.

I also plan to use the Miata floor. It's thicker than the stock floor and the bucket seat mounts are built in! It is also totally rust free.

Do I konw exactly what I'm doing? NO - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :lol:

• Like 1
This is an awesome project. I can't wait to see some pics of it at the track.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT ON THE TRACK EITHER! YOU CAN COUNT ON SOME COOL PICS AND VIDEO :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I didn't have much time tonight. I got the sub frame plated. It's now 2.25" lower.

This is with the cut already made & the old piece sitting there.

MX520Motortransshots007.jpg

This is with the cut out removed.

MX520Motortransshots008.jpg

This is plated and welded up.

MX520Motortransshots009.jpg

Wow, now that'll definately be a fun drive... you've got me wondering why I'm considering an engine swap with the stock suspension. I think it's time for me to start exploring some more options...

Looks great, and good to hear your son has a hobby that both of you share. Is he helping out with the build, or is he not much of a Datsun man?

Looks great, and good to hear your son has a hobby that both of you share. Is he helping out with the build, or is he not much of a Datsun man?

He's good at holding things from time to time, but it's not like it was when I was a kid and just wanted to be out in the garage with my dad all of the time. It must be the damn internet / texting / video game BS!

Sorry I'm feeling old now - I need to go lay down.:rolleyes: