1984 720 4x4 oil light stays on dimly.

gunsmith

I own 1984 720 4x4 king cab truck with 2.4l carb engine, manual transmission.

About a week ago the oil idiot light came on dimly and stays on. The truck is equipped with the factory oil pressure gauge.  The gauge reads about 30-40 psi at idle and goes up to 50-60 when rpms are higher. I believe the gauge to be working correctly.

What else in the circuitry between the oil pressure sending unit could be causing this light to stay on dimly?

Could the oil pressure sending unit be sending the correct signal to the gauge and still cause the idiot light to stay on dimly?

Is there a way to test the oil pressure sending unit, beside swapping it out with a new one?

The manual I have provide no information on the oil pressure sending unit, nor the circuitry so I really need information.

Thank you!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unplug the sender. If the dim light goes out then the sender is pooched. If red lamp is still dim, maybe a wire is pinched somewhere. Almost for sure it will be the sender.

Replace the sender in the block under the intake.  Be sure to use a 15mm???? spanner to tighten the new on on. NEVER grip it and twist it, except to get it started. The outer case is crimped on and will spin and tear the wiring inside.

The 4x4 uses a red idiot light and a gauge in the same unit. The idiot light is just a low pressure (about 8PSI) switch to ground.