Knock or rattle, either way not good please help me

ssprague

I've been driving my 85 720 2wd for a couple years, keeping the oil changed and it's been running good.  Bought it with 67000 on it and its at 94000 now.  Alternator went out a few weeks ago and I replaced it, then back to running good.  Last week I parked it at work, and on the drive home I noticed whenever I accelerated, especially lugging at all or going up hills, it knocked (not sure if that's the correct term).  It does it in all gears, more in the lower end of each gear and mostly goes away toward the top end.  It also doesn't do it when idling, or when Im under the hood manually giving it throttle.  I did notice the carrier bearing was shot, so I replaced that hoping it would help but its the same.  I've done some internet digging, but I'm unsure what to do.  I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow, and hopefully post a video but it's hard because it doesn't do it at idle.  Thanks in advance.

Sam

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I see that is obvious is the knock is only there under load. Running gear noises also have a tendency to telegraph through the system and sound as if they were someplace else. Not much help, I know, but maybe (hopefully?) somewhere other than the engine.

• Like 1

Can you still not see the video?  You have to click the link, it should work.  It does it in all gears, even reverse.  A lot of the bushings underneath need to be replaced, could that really be what it is?  I hope so.  I will do that Wayno but I haven't heard this noise before, it just started doing it coming home from work.  Thank you all for your help.  Heading to my buddies house hopefully get it figured out before work tomorrow.

Sam

• Like 1

Start simple. Enough oil on the dipstick? Otherwise trace down the symptoms by telling us what specifically by gear, load and what has changed recently.  Your original post did cover the issues but there are some clues missing. Keep it simple as to what is going on. The small details will wake up the memories of folks who have had the issues  before. I have had my 720 30 years but will need some reminders. Fixed everything but can't remember everthing. Good  luck and these engines rarely have a total meltdown.  

• Like 1

So I started toward my buddy's house and blew a head gasket.  There was about an inch and a half of coolant in the cylinders when we pulled the head.  It was blown between 3 and 4 I believe(the ones farthest from the front of the truck?)  Put on the head gasket, then couldn't get the timing chain on, the tensioner let loose...so we pulled off the timing cover and I figure since I'm in there I'm going to put in a timing kit.  Problem is I think we moved the bottom end with the top end off and now we have the head back on and sealed.  I'm guessing that's bad.  Any way to check that?  Also going to have to set the ignition timing I suppose.  I don't know a whole lot about mechanicin but I'm learning fast. :0  Any tips for setting the timing would be greatly appreciated.  I've read a bunch of previous posts on here and gleaned that the 1st cylinder being at TDC on the compression stroke, both exhaust and intake valves on the first cylinder should be closed, and that the cam sprocket then has marks to put on the little dowel so that the #1 matches up with the mark we made (which won't matter with a new chain anyway...)  and to put the guides on, chain on, then the tensioner and then the timing cover.  Thanks everybody for all the help, I really appreciate it.  PS Datzenmike I clicked the video and it worked for me, not sure what's going on there sorry.  Wish me luck!

Sam

• Like 1

Turn the crank pulley till the first cylinder is at TDC and the timing mark on the pulley is at the 0 in the timing scale.

Look through the top hole on the cam sprocket and down and you should see a V or U notch. On the thrust plate behind it is a small horizontal etch mark. The sprocket should be on the #2 hole. The notch should be directly below or just slightly to the right of the etch mark above it if the cam is times properly. It should look like this...

cGRc0ls.jpg

If it's wildly out you may be a tooth off so move the sprocket one tooth and see. You should be able to use the #2 hole. Never unbolt the cam sprocket without secureing the tensioner with a wedge or a special plastic tool.

post-2004-0-81757300-1358957691.jpg

When done and still at TDC unbolt the distributor from the timing cover and look in the hole. You should see this...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

Note there is a large and small half moon that only allows the distributor to fit in one position. If it is not at 11:28 unbolt the oil pump and drop the drive spindle above it. With help re-position it like the picture above and bolt everything together. The timing will not be affected./

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for your help everyone, and for the play by play of the timing datzenmike  that helped out tremendously.  It's running back like it was now, thank god parts are cheap!  Now I just have to start replacing my front end suspension, yay!

Thanks again.

Sam

• Like 1