L20b b310

dukerollo

Does anyone know of this being done anywhere? Does anyone have any pictures?

I’m sure I’m not breaking new ground.  I have finally got the engine and trans in at the same time, but it has required major surgery. I still don’t know if the hood will go back on. 

I can can see why Nissan stretched the nose on the Sunny Perfects, there are no room in these damn things. 

When it’s not 3:30 in the morning, I’ll update my build thread. This little tangent of the project has been a bit more than I bargained for....or I’m just tired and being bitchy....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I've put an L16 in my round light 79 b310 (b210 in USA) 

Yes the hood hit just where the cross brace sits in the underneath the bonnet. 

I used shorter engine mounts to drop it 10mm. Good luck trying to fit a L20 with stock carby. I used twin su carbs. 

What major surgery did you do? I only had to fit the pa10 pedal box for a hydraulic clutch and some relief on the gearbox cross member to fit the 5speed gear box . 

I moved the engine back because I couldn’t get the radiator in. Now the 280zx trans is too friendly with the tunnel, so I had to do some chopping. I am going to be using a KA head eventually which should give me hood clearance. 

Did you have room for a rad in the stock location, or did you modify the core support?

If you have any pics I would love to see them. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to start over, I would've just started with an A10 wagon instead of my B310 wagon. I didn't realize until afterwards that they're basically identical except a few trim pieces and the L20B and H165 vs A15 and H150. Oh well, I've always been a Sunny fan. Good luck with the swap, it can't be harder than an SR in a 1200!

• Thanks 1

I actually had an A10 wagon.  That is where this engine come from. That car is still running around with the A15 from the Sunny in it. 

I was also also under the impression that they were near identical cars until I started down this rabbit hole. The A10 is slightly larger in some key dimensions and accommodates the much larger L20 easily. The Sunny is a bit lighter and easier to get parts for over here, so I have no regrets. Plus projects like this keep me off of the street corner. Lol. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Edited by dukerollo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1