620 5 Speed Swap and Differential Gears

fxrsrider

My truck: 1973 620 L16 SWB A/T

My Trans: Jatco 3N71B

My Rear end: 4.625

Been researching the "620 5 speed swap."  datzenmike has been a godsend in helping to understand this whole thing.  Here's where I'm stumped.

What is the "ideal" 5-speed to differential gearing for daily street performance.  By "daily street performance" I mean, quick take off when the light turns green, quick through gears, and a comfortable drive in the HOV lane for an hour+ drive.  Something that's fun to drive.

Please assume that the L16  engine is just fine...built and tuned for street performance. (it's not a 1.8 or a 2.0 so please save the "you should have this xyz engine instead" comments for a different thread)

I've heard that the '80-'83 280zx non turbo close-ratio gearboxes paired with a 3.54 rear differential is "what everyone wants."  Is that true? If so, what is the benefit of this pairing as opposed to others?  Are there comparable box-to-rear end parings that are good for our little trucks?

datzenmike has generously explained how the mid-ratio 5 speed gearboxes would best suit my current 4.625 rear end.  Is there a better (or rather, ideal) rear-end gear ratio for the mid-ratio boxes for daily street performance?

To sum it up:

Which is mo' betta for a fun, zippy ride:  a close-ratio with X.XXX rear end OR a mid-ratio with X.XXX rear end?

Thank you, in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any transmission will be zippy with the 4.625 in it. With a differential that high you could get away with a mid or even a close ratio transmission

A 3.545 is way too low for an L16 and the 80-83 close ratio.  

Differentials. The '79 620 with L20B used a wide ratio transmission with a 4.11. The lower first gear helped get it moving with the 'sluggish' 4.11 differential. All other L20B 620s used a 4.375 and a mid ratio transmission. Seems reasonable that a close ratio would be near ideal with a 4.625. Don't forget this is with a 95 HP 2 liter engine. An L16 is 20 HP less.

For the heavy 620 I would select the transmissions this way depending on the differential.

less acceleration<<<<<<<>>>>>>> more acceleration

lower revs<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>higher revs

3.364,  3.545,  3.70,  3.90,  4.11,  4.375,  4.625,  4.875

............................................Wide... Mid....Close>>>>>>

The close ratio has a monster over drive so the shift from 4th to 5th will be a huge RPM drop. (this transmission was used in a similar weight car with a 160 hp six cylinder) Ok for cruise and good mileage but for passing and climbing a hill or driving into the wind you may have to use 4th with an L16.

• Like 1