1981 210: emergency flashers work but turn signals don’t. wtf?

zacc

sometimes, and only sometimes the damn turn signals on my car will just poop the bed. it seems like it’s only when it gets chilly but i honestly have no idea why it’s doing this. i’ll wake up one morning and go to drive the thing and my turn signals just took the day off. my high beams and emergency flashers work just fine though, so i know it’s not my bulbs. anyone know what this is?

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try spraying the turn switch with electrical contact cleaner. It's probably the old grease that's 40 years old that has collected dust and dirt and is thicker. You may hev to split the clam shell around the steering column to get at the switch.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Try spraying the turn switch with electrical contact cleaner. It's probably the old grease that's 40 years old that has collected dust and dirt and is thicker. You may hev to split the clam shell around the steering column to get at the switch.

i had it all taken apart today and i noticed that, tried my best to clean it off but that didn’t work. if that doesn’t work what else should i try?

• Like 1
On 9/9/2018 at 7:51 PM, datzenmike said:

mike, i cleaned off the switch the best i could and they still aren’t working. i probably should have also mentioned that the “amp” light is on, and when i try to apply a turn signal it gets a little brighter. any idea about that?

You have to spray contact cleaner into the turn signal switch and work the lever back and forth to flush it out. 

On a 210, not sure exactly where the flashers are. Usually near the steering column under the dash. Look like little round aluminum cans.

111953185C-6-Volt-Turn-Signal-Flasher-Re

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

You have to spray contact cleaner into the turn signal switch and work the lever back and forth to flush it out. 

On a 210, not sure exactly where the flashers are. Usually near the steering column under the dash. Look like little round aluminum cans.

111953185C-6-Volt-Turn-Signal-Flasher-Re

fuck yeah, i found it!! one for the flashers and one for the turn signals, just gotta try and replace that. thank you so much dude!

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

bill-murray-420.gif

Better make sure if it's bad first. Swap them, if the problem also swaps then it's bad

so i had swapped them, and then when i tried to turn on my blinkers it didn’t work. i figured okay it’s bad, cool, so i went and bought another one. i have it installed sitting here in front of me and all put back together and it’s still not working. i haven’t tried spraying the cleaner in there but just incase i do try that and it doesn’t work, what else can i try?? i really really do not want to rip this dashboard apart... one more thing. my gas gauge and my temperature sensor doesn’t work either, i just notice this today. 

okay. just sprayed the switch down, lights still aren’t working. i know the switch is working because when i try to use a blinker it will make the “amp” light brighter, but only if the switch for the emergency flashers is plugged in. all relays installed on the car work. all bulbs work. is it maybe a fuse?? someone please help me, i have no idea what to do...