Draker's 1970 2 door 510 - "Chuck"

Draker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this car in 2018 from the son of Chuck Smith. I met chuck years ago when I bought my 69 and 71 510 from him in 2013 (story below).

Back in the summer like many others, I was actively searching for a 510.. I was mainly looking for a 2 or 4 door sedan and would search craigslist almost every day. I'd search the entire pacific northwest trying to find a diamond in the rough, but always came up empty handed. I didn't have a ton of cash to blow on a project because I had just purchased my first house and most of my money was going to updates and repairs to the house.

I eventually pulled the trigger on a blue 71 wagon and have been working on it ever since.

Fast forward to February 13th, 2013.. I just got off work and was driving to my Wednesday night bowling league. I pulled in to the parking lot and checked my phone to see what time it was as I was a little early. I noticed I had an email and checked it.. It was titled 510 Datsun Station Wagon. I was like... wtf? Because I had not been talking to anyone about my wagon. I read through the email and it looked like I had emailed them at some point and they were replying. They basically were saying: sorry for not getting back to you. I've got a 1969 beige 510 4 door and a 1971 black 510 2 door.

Apparently what happened was they listed the wagon for sale and mentioned the had some others for sale. I replied asking "Just curious as to what other 510 cars you might have?". The owner then fell very ill. He had a stroke earlier in the year and then had another stroke right after they listed these cars on craigslist. He was layed up in the hospital for 3 months and didn't even know where he was. They just happen to stumble across my old email from the summer and took a chance and replied.

When I saw the email, naturally I almost shit my pants. Which would have made for an awfully long night of bowling.. lol. I called them up right after I read the email and got some details. I ended up driving up to take a look at the cars on the following Sunday.

Over the years chucks health deteriorated and he passed away. This was his personal daily driver. I had chatted with him several times about this car and helped him source a few parts for it. In 2018 I sent a text to his son asking about some parts. He told me he was trying to get a hold of me for some time because Chucks wife wants to know if I want to buy this car. There was no way I could say no. I drove up and took another look at the car, it was beautiful. It drove amazing. I ended up dragging it home along with another 4 door. I bought all of their 510 and as of this update, I still own all of them.

I plan to clean up the car cosmetically, and just drive it. It could use some new wheels, but that will come with time.

Edited by Draker
added story.

Drove this car around the block last night. It drives great! The tranny is a little slow to engage from a stop, but otherwise steering is nice and tight, the brakes feel good, and it's pretty damn quiet inside. I may have to get this thing on the road and put some serious miles on it!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:14 AM, Draker said:

Anyone happen to know what badges mount on the c pillar? I've never seen any factory badging here. These are perfectly aligned holes and look very factory.

20180917_074817.jpg
20180917_074810.jpg

Those holes are for the factory SSS badges found on the 1970 models.  This was mostly a trim upgrade, but I see you have the factory tach and map light (almost always found on those models), so that would support that as well.  The badge is the rectangular SSS emblem that was also shared on the 411 SSS models (on the grille and tail light panel). 

This is the emblem that would be located there:

9998_55429568a2c2c.jpg

Michael

Edited by spriso
  • Like 8
On 11/2/2018 at 8:57 PM, spriso said:

Those holes are for the factory SSS badges found on the 1970 models.  This was mostly a trim upgrade, but I see you have the factory tach and map light (almost always found on those models), so that would support that as well.  The badge is the rectangular SSS emblem that was also shared on the 411 SSS models (on the grille and tail light panel). 

9998_55429568a2c2c.jpg

Michael

Thank you Mr. Spreadbury.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/2/2018 at 8:57 PM, spriso said:

Michael

Well I guess I need to buy those badges then!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 7:48 PM, Draker said:

Well I guess I need to buy those badges then!

I bought those badges, but haven't put them on. I still haven't seen any 510s with the badges in this location.

I really haven't done anything to this car other than clean it up a bit. It runs and drives great!! Has a few oil leaks that need to be addressed. At some point I'll pull the engine and get cracking on fixing those leaks.

• Like 1

That is a sweet 2 door. May he rest in peace knowing his friend has it. That's kinda how I got the Orangish 2 door car I have from an old lady I met back in 84 when I moved to Pricedale, MS. It was in a barn almost 20 years later she called me to ask if I still wanted it. Was surprised she still had my number. Take care of her.

20 hours ago, Draker said:

I bought those badges, but haven't put them on. I still haven't seen any 510s with the badges in this location.

I really haven't done anything to this car other than clean it up a bit. It runs and drives great!! Has a few oil leaks that need to be addressed. At some point I'll pull the engine and get cracking on fixing those leaks.

Good deal, I've never seen a car with those badges on it. Your a lucky man.

• 4 months later...

This car has been tucked away but will likely be my summer cruiser this year. I noticed the stereo didn’t work and the existing speakers were old paper cones. Decided to upgrade a bit. Nothing too fancy.

5D9B00AB-55F4-4BDA-B765-72895D39D2A0.jpg
72FA186C-1F6E-462C-86A4-ED1E87046C4D.jpg
27A64FC8-F319-4ED7-A3E4-D0F09096110D.jpg
0749B39C-9973-4715-88F0-2543E31329ED.jpg
FF50B9F9-80DE-4BC1-89F0-C84365113A87.jpg

913D2580-3932-48D4-B71C-A4FF6465076F.jpg
8B2B0DFF-5AE3-4E1E-B3A2-CEDA9AE3087B.jpg
0650D456-96C6-4833-9CE7-2E1E73169284.jpg

Edited by Draker
Remove pic
  • Like 2

Also this has a cool rear window defroster installed from a mercury? It’s just a little fan.

this still has oil leaks and needs a bit of love. My first order of business is to swap in an electronic dizzy. Finish the stereo install and just drive it. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...