Just another (LOOK AT ME!!!) 69 DIME build thread.

510revisited

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit man, I feel for you, a cautionary tale for all us.

I'm not a professional body man but I have done lots of body work on many restorations, that C pillar is going to be one bitch of a job.

Your not going to be able to bang that out with a hammer and dolly, that will need to be pulled. Getting the back window to fit properly so it looks good and doesn't leak will be the hardest part.

Transferring everything over to another straight  510 is definitely worth considering. There certainly guys that can do that kind of work and if it was a 53/ Jag or Alfa it would be worth doing but finding a clean 510 isn't that hard yet.

OR  you cold leave as is, Rat out the car and have some real authenticity.

Not a laughing matter I know, I feel for you.

If you choose to swap to another chassis, dont just scrap this one.  While repair be beyond most of us, 510keeper or someone like him could recover this or use it to make 5 other cars live on.

Glad you're ok.  Sorry you busted up the toy.

First off, thanks everyone for their "condolences" if you will...

2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

If you choose to swap to another chassis, dont just scrap this one.  While repair be beyond most of us, 510keeper or someone like him could recover this or use it to make 5 other cars live on.

Glad you're ok.  Sorry you busted up the toy.

This exactly. If i go down that route, this is definitely the plan. The rest of the car is pretty good, im assuming. So why wouldnt i, right? 

2 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Post a better side shot. From that one picture that looks so repairable. quarter panel C pillar and front fender maybe door. Fix it.

Will do. Just right now, i dont even want to go in the garage. The wind has been forcefully removed from my sails...

Again, i do want to say thanks for every member who has responded to all of my topics. It has been a big help... this is just a speed bump. Or more likely, a ditch... 

• Like 1

Unstitching a panel is laborious, but it isn't hard work. Similarly, new quarter panels are easy to get and good quality. I would claim on the insurance (if you have any) and fix the car. It'll be less work than swapping everything over to a new shell and you have the chance to sort out some potential rust areas at the same time.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, slowlearner said:

Unstitching a panel is laborious, but it isn't hard work. Similarly, new quarter panels are easy to get and good quality. I would claim on the insurance (if you have any) and fix the car. It'll be less work than swapping everything over to a new shell and you have the chance to sort out some potential rust areas at the same time.

Im starting to lean this way. I have not claimed anything on my insurance yet cause im trying to decide which way to go. I have been looking for parts, and have found a quarter for 300.. i have NEVER done body work. So if there are any threads with good pics, and or info could someone kindly point me in that direction... 

On 8/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Post a better side shot. From that one picture that looks so repairable. quarter panel C pillar and front fender maybe door. Fix it.

Here are some better pics. What i have noticed is the sheetmetal inside the car is pushed in at the access wholes for the vent trim piece access. The painted strip where the passengers shoulder would be in the rear is bent inward towards the passenger side... the drip rail is bent as well. 

2AfUt0e.jpg

HdDIQH3.jpg

f7Kl3rB.jpg

e6BUFpw.jpg

uWKbiPE.jpg

YZh81DC.jpgthe two trunk shots were rotated by imgur. I tried to edit mine by rotating them opposite of this orientation but i couldnt upload the edited images. Oh well, you guys will see the damage. My mom sent me this last one to cheer me up. Me in 97 with my 72. L16 with a weber 32/36. Before i cut all four springs...

yon3CXK.jpg

7 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Man that is so fixable. Fender and apron front looks done, get a rear quarter and your back. I say fix it.but check brakes first.

Come over and fix it for me. I can pay you in trident layers...!! My main concern is the interior metal. I get the process of cutting off and replacing the quarter. But pulling all the interior metal back into shape is where im stuck. It looks as if the wheel well got pushed in. Rebuilding the c pillar is a concern too. If i did this, whre would the best place to weld the c pilar back in? I know it has to go above the damage obviously... but any particular spot that is easier tha another?? I dont mean to sound like im "big dealing" this, i just like to know these things... 

• Like 1

Your back window is already out... the hardest glass to remove. I'd say it popped out when the window frame flexed. It might not even be significantly out of shape. 

Personally, if it were me I'd pull all the dents out as much as possible while leaving the paint alone. Then just drive it. Datsun metal is VERY thin. You can literally shape the metal with your hands. It's that thin. I'd suggest a paint-less dent guy could do some pretty amazing things with it. I'd get a quote and go from there. Could be your insurance company is happy with that too. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Your back window is already out... the hardest glass to remove. I'd say it popped out when the window frame flexed. It might not even be significantly out of shape. 

Personally, if it were me I'd pull all the dents out as much as possible while leaving the paint alone. Then just drive it. Datsun metal is VERY thin. You can literally shape the metal with your hands. It's that thin. I'd suggest a paint-less dent guy could do some pretty amazing things with it. I'd get a quote and go from there. Could be your insurance company is happy with that too. 

I love the "rat" look too. But im not going for that style. If it we're me, id have the "patina" "barn find" look. Either way, i appreciate the input. I think ill just cut off the skin for the pillar, and the 1/4, and pull all the interior metal back into position and go from there. Ive been looking for pics of dimes with there quarters and c pillars stripped and managed to find one. I just would like to know whats underneath so i can have an idea.

I did want a project!!! I guess if you can drive a stick, you can drive anything... one hell of a way to jump into body work right?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, 510revisited said:

I love the "rat" look too. But im not going for that style. If it we're me, id have the "patina" "barn find" look. Either way, i appreciate the input. I think ill just cut off the skin for the pillar, and the 1/4, and pull all the interior metal back into position and go from there. Ive been looking for pics of dimes with there quarters and c pillars stripped and managed to find one. I just would like to know whats underneath so i can have an idea.

I did want a project!!! I guess if you can drive a stick, you can drive anything... one hell of a way to jump into body work right?

I know what you mean. I wasn't planning on doing bodywork, but the car was worth the effort.

19 hours ago, the510keeper said:

Totally repairable, just takes time. that $300 quarter panel isnt worth buying however. Ive found them to be the worst of all repop parts

Ahh, the man, the myth, the legend. Thanks for the input. Im probably in need of some other parts, like a door, fender, maybe a rear control arm or the crossmember. Ill hit you up through pm. Again, thanks for the input and help. I do have to say this. My boss used to do body work back in the day when times were slow for my line of work. He said, generally, window frames are hard to get just right... is he right? Is he wrong? Am i big dealing this shit again?