Kingpin

cmbeau67

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices on them are crazy these days, I paid under $50.00 shipped to my door for the same kits, but that was years ago and they came on a ship, so shipping was cheap, but I had to wait almost 3 months for them to arrive.

Search "Datsun 521 kingpin" on ebay, there are 3 options today, all are overseas except the high priced Rock Auto set.

I have an "A N D" kingpin set(made in Japan) I will sell for slightly less than the ebay prices, PM me if you are interested.

• Like 1

I don't think so. The kits have/had different part numbers. The pins look easy enough to make on a lathe. When the brass? bushings are pressed in they distort slightly and or miss-align and  why they must be reamed to fit the pin. I had a shop do mine and I disassembled and pit together and in only 6 months it was back to stiff as fuck to steer. The bushings have grease holes that must be lined up IIRC, maybe they reamed it too loose and crap got in? I know the grease was near impossible to pump in. Later I re-did them again and it still wasn't that great. The steering was always better after a weekend of driving through muddy puddles but by Friday it was back to stiff. This is why when I found my 620 I looked to see if it had king pins. I'll never ever have king pins again!

• Like 1

What you are describing Mike is that who ever reamed the bushings did a poor job and then beat the pins in.  The king pins are then heated with a torch to get the pins to free up enough to move and to drive.  I had a set that was this way and I ended up taking it to a front end shop and having the king pins redone and all was good after that.

When the bushings get reamed the reamer needs to be long enough to ream both bushings at the same time.  It is like line boring.

521 and 620 are slightly different.  I think bushing it thicker on one side than the other.

I have a spare 620 set but I ordered it from Partsgeek . it was cheap. Dont have a 620  but thought it would work on my 521. 

Autozone sells the kingpin set above  might ck with them if they have them in stock.

Last set i got was from a guy and it was Made in England as alot of MGB used Kingpoin sets

• Like 1

Some cars have replacement bushings that need to have the grease hole drilled after installation.

Press them in, ream them, remove the zirk, and drill the hole.

Had bought a set for my 521, but never installed them before I sold it into slavery (went to mexico).

Most likely still have the reamer, and the kit around here somewhere....

• Like 1

I can get complete moog kits from mexico at about $85 a kit. Im not going until december. Let me know i can possibly bring a few kits back again but only if paid in advance. Last time i got stuck with 4 kits and an empty wallet.

I can get every link pitman arm center link and more as well from mexico even the sun bolt for the lower control arms.

• Like 1