From what yr to yr 280zx McPherson strut is interchangeable?

Rasp933

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All years. That would be '79-'83 280zx, any model,  even the turbo engine. You don't need the springs so you can leave them in the yard. If you find a donor car built before August '81 get the 15/16" master cylinder with the vertical mounting bolts also. You may find your brakes a bit mushy because of the larger calipers on them and the 15/16 will firm this up.

I've been told that they barely fit the older 510 but adjusting any camber is pretty much impossible. Use your narrower 610 coils. Cut the zx lower spring perch off and put you 610 perch on and use your 610 top hat. The lower perch can be supported with a 2" split collar. About $20.

1chQBG9.jpg

Trim just above the weld on your lower spring perch.

hg3XpHE.jpg

GpXGvun.jpg

Tap the perches off

iDSHjfC.jpg

50eoVBl.jpg

Grind down the weld on the zx strut tube so the 610 perch can slide past it.

Zym2fxc.jpg

0VoENXE.jpg

From top to bottom...

610 top hat

zx strut

610 spring

610 spring perch

2" split collar.

facikh7.jpg

RgfEkVc.jpg

I used a hydraulic jack and hunk of wood to lift the car by compressing the spring. Slide the split collar up and tighten. Then do same on other side. Let down and raise or lower till you get where you want it. Split collars are rated at 3,000 pounds each that's almost 1 and 1/2 610s per side. Once I got my 710 where I wanted it I MIG'ed a very small weld just below the split collar (but where you can easily get at it to grind away if you need to) so there was no way it could slip down.

Cost me $25 for the collars, $3 for the cut off disc. Not even a morning's work to do. While I was at it, it's a good idea to stiffen the spring rate to avoid bottoming on any car that is lowered. My stock 710 coil calculates out to about 100 pounds per inch lb/in. If you shorten a coil spring it actually becomes stiffer. I calculated a 50% increase in spring rate and trimmed a small portion of my front coils. Not being too adventurous and liking my kidneys the way they are I left it at this amount. This way the springs don't go to waste and they fit perfectly.

I hate to see people spending hundreds of dollars on something they set and then never adjust again. That's money just going along for a ride getting rusty. Spend it on something like tires. You can do this for under $30 and while not as easy to adjust it IS adjustable.