In search of rebuild kit for FS5W71B (5 speed)

Perez620

Haven’t had any luck in my search online for a rebuild kit for a 71B. Seems everyone offers everything else though. 

Ive been in contact with two companies that deal with the 71 trans kits and both are asking me to pull the trans apart for ID numbers and measurements.

If anyone has any info or internal measurements that I can share with them to help find me the correct kit it’d be much appreciated. 

Btw, current trans is in unknown internal condition. Will most likely rebuild it prior to installing with fresh rebuilt L20B

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto Zone... https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/manual-transmission-rebuild-kit  ... just bearings and gaskets, case to adapter is a sealer. Uses the correct 56mm counter bearing.

https://www.midwesttrans.com/webapp/partView.do?partNum=MWT104... MWT104 bearing and synchro kit for 280z ('77-'78) 810 ('78-'80) and Maxima ('81-'84) is the same as yours, about $61

There are more but I have to go to work.

• Like 3

MWT104 kit... if a '77 620, the following are the same...

Pre 1980...

77-79 620

78-80 810

77-78 280x

79 280zx only the one year

There were some changes to the 80 and up transmissions but likely would work up through 84 when the counter bearing changed from 56 to 62mm

AWESOME! this info is super helpful as i ran into the same problem. I got an unknown condition 71B and when draining the fluid it looked so metallic it could pass for liquid galvinize.... I found countless kits for the 71c and others but it seems like the B is an afterthought for companies. 

I'll have to call midwesttrans for the MWT104 and ask to add the synchros to go with it.

The short is an '80 or newer 720 box. Have a look on that site. If it lists one for a 720 it should work for the shorty. Only difference is the mainshaft and the tail are shorter. The gears, bearings and synchronizes are the same. '85 and up use a 62mm counter bearing '84 and older are all 56mm.

• Like 2