HVAC in 1971 Datsun 521 Pickup with L20B

pwrcat4000

I am considering getting a climate control system in my 1971 Datsun 521 Pickup with L20B
researching on the internet and an old post from 

Charlie69

I found this product for $481.00

A/C KITUNIVERSAL UNDER DASH EVAPORATOR HEAT AND COOL 12.000 BTU 404-1 12v

I would love to hear before ordering,  any information and experience that you may be able to provide
I have a good idea of where to mount the compressor to the left side of the engine will probably have to make a bracket.
My other concern is the Evaporator fitment behind the grill in front of the Radiator.
Do you think I will I be able to remove my working stock heat system including defrost. can't tell if it has defrost capabilities Should I order a stand alone A/C or one that mounts behind the seat.or something else I have about 400-500 budgeted for this project and I am doing it myself (except for all the great help from ratsun.net)
There is not a selection of pick a part yards around here I have been looking to see if something used could be fitted but i would not rule out that either if it can get it under budget.

Edited by pwrcat4000
added content
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have set up my 520 with a 720 heater and AC system. It is a lot of work to do the 720 setup and I do not recommend going that direction as the parts are now obsolete.

I would look into a heater AC combo mini unit as the 521 factory heater did not work well new.  there are some smaller AC heater systems out there.

The one you have linked to looks huge for a 521 under dash unit.  I have a dealer installed under dash 521 unit but the plastic is crumbling from the AZ heat.

You need to measure to see what size condenser you can get behind the grill.  The early (1980) 720 condenser that I am using in my 520 took a lot of fab work to get it to fit.  Check this one out for size.  Remember you will remove the stock heater with this unit.

https://www.southernrods.com/a-c-and-heat-components/econo-kooler-heat-and-air-complete-kit.html

Edited by Charlie69
  • Thanks 1