72' 521 Ignition Switch Wiring

RorySan

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and  I just wanted to ask the community a  question regarding the ignition wiring on my Dragon 521. I recently got a NOS Niles ignition switch with 5 terminals, and I wanted to see if anyone had a wiring diagram for the switch, or if anyone has a good wire to terminal explanation. I have the factory body and chassis manual, and it has a broad wiring schematic and a brief explanation of what terminals the fuse box, battery, etc. go to.

However, I haven't seen another post on the forum that had a definitive explanation of which wire goes to which terminal and I thought I'd ask before referring to manual.  Currently the truck does not have a ignition switch installed, or I would try to follow the existing wiring. 

If anyone could help I'd be super grateful.

Thanks,

Rorysan

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the terminals on the switch are marked...

B........ White (power from the battery)

IG....... Black/White stripe (power to ballast resistor in the ON position and sends power to the fuse box)

S........ Black/Yellow stripe (start signal to the starter in START position)

R........ Black/Red stripe (sends power directly to coil in START position only

Acc.... Blue/White stripe? (power to accessories like heater, radio and wipers etc. in the ON and ACC positions) 

• Like 1

Hey thanks a lot, I was able to figure it out from your breakdown and she is back and running! The ignition switch I got has numbered terminals. It may not be an original for a 521, as it has  a set of nissan keys, but the quality seems spot on. 

I have some pictures of the Dragon that I'll post to the forum. I'm really excited to be a part of this community. I inherited the truck from my old man and Datsuns have a huge sentiment for me.

Thanks again and all the best,

Rorysan

• Like 1

It sound like the original plug has been cut off.  You can buy the original plug from Vintage Connections

While you are at Vintage connections buy the crimping tool for the wire connectors also.  You cannot properly crimp these connectors without it.

The connector you want for the ignition switch is the non latching 6-pin non-latching 6.3mm spade-based connector pair, with terminals.

6-pin_non-latching_6.3mm_spade-based_con

Ratcheting_Crimping_Tool.jpg

This is the pin removal tool.

6.3mm_Terminal_Extraction_Tool.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey thanks for the response guys, I was able to wire the ignition up from Mike's breakdown using the old plug. Sorry for the late reply, I don't login as often as I probably should, but I really appreciate all the help. I'm super grateful for all the information on this forum and the people that take the time to answer questions, it has been a tremendous help.