What's your MPG and mods?

afracer

Just wanted to have some fun, liven it up in here and capture some comparisons from everyone else and share my own.  List yours and accompanying mods!

1981 210 Wagon

A15 5 speed

Weber DGV, A15E/GX cam, GX valve springs, ported head with +1mm Si valves, 1.5 ratio rockers, Nismo lifters, Pitroad pushrods, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust/Borla muffler, NGK iridium plugs, and I just installed a MSD Blaster 2 coil and 6AL amplifier.

Before the MSD I was getting between 24-29 highway and city MPG. After the MSD I'm at 30 MPG combined with the AC going.

The people who say the MSD boxes don't do anything for old Datsuns are full of crap.

Edited by afracer
  • Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My second Datsun:

1972 1200 coupe

SR20DET 5 speed

T28 turbo, 550 injectors, Greddy knockoff intake, Z32 mafs, SAFC2, 2.25" exhaust, Ford 8.8 w/3.73 gears

35 MPG highway and 28 city/combined

MSD boxes do nothing for old Datsuns. Hook up your EI and nothing will change. As soon as you spend a lot of money on something to increase mileage you are biased, and start to drive differently and that's where the increase comes from. Everyone can increase their mileage by 20% or more simply by keeping in mind that every time they use their brakes they are throwing away the gas used to get them up to that speed. Try driving without using your brakes or as little as possible, anticipating stop lights and slowing down and by driving the speed limit. With those mods done to your car you aren't going for mileage but performance and drive that way. You should have been getting 35 on the highway an 28 in town to begin with.  

The stock ignition was already plugged in before the MSD addition. Without doing anything else except the MSD my cruise A/F ratios on my wideband went from 13.7-14.0 to 14.6-15.2. Additionally the car starts quicker and runs much better.  If the MSD did nothing, my AFRs wouldn't have  changed at all.  I did not change my driving stlye I literally pulled it into the garage, added it, pulled it back out. 

Your assumptions are also false. I spent zero dollars on the MSD box.

There are way too many factors involved to conclusively say an MSD ignition is or isn't responsible for his improved mileage. Could be as simple as tire pressure or a shitty old condenser. afracer's experience isn't unique though, so maybe a 50 year old mechanical ignition isn't as consistent or accurate through the rev range as an electronic ignition.

My Dato

72 510, S13 Blacktop SR20DET with stock cam, Greddy Knock off intake customized for top feed injectors, Ron Davis intercooler with C6 Transfer Black thermal conductive coating, smooth port matched log exhaust manifold, Garrett 3071R twin scroll turbo with 3" exhaust. 4" cold air intake with on MAF, GM LS2 coil pack ignition, Link G4 stand alone ECU set up for E85 with Z-Tech Flex Fuel sensor, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors. 06 Subi r180 3.54 LDS. 02 range from 10.7 at idle to 15.6 WFO. Cruise is in the high 13s

I've never gone through a fill up without mixed driving. Everything from highway, street, racing and the best I've ever seen is 22 MPG. E85 requires 30% more fuel than gas though, so I guess that's not too bad.

Some people don't realize that a hotter ignition allows for increased plug gap, and a better flame front in the combustion process.

This yields better power, and better mileage.

I'm knocking down 22 mph, mostly highway.

Mods as of now:

L18, stock compression, re-jetted DGV (to get a nice tan color on the plugs), ported head, big valves, 264 cam, a shitty old 4-2-1 header with way too much length, 2.5" exhaust, tweaked electronic ignition with Crane PS91 coil,

and.........

4.62 gears :)

I run the s#it out of this thing.

11 hours ago, afracer said:

Your assumptions are also false. I spent zero dollars on the MSD box.

Even free. If you expect something you will unconsciously change your behavior to increase the chance of it happening. If you're happy with it that's all that counts. Me? I think the factory EI is more than good enough and MSDs are like multi colored fishing lures... they catch more fishermen than fish.

It's an '81 so will have the EI ignition

4 hours ago, G-Duax said:

Some people don't realize that a hotter ignition allows for increased plug gap, and a better flame front in the combustion process.

This yields better power, and better mileage.

7 hours ago, paradime said:

There are way too many factors involved to conclusively say an MSD ignition is or isn't responsible for his improved mileage. Could be as simple as tire pressure or a shitty old condenser. afracer's experience isn't unique though, so maybe a 50 year old mechanical ignition isn't as consistent or accurate through the rev range as an electronic ignition.

I've been running Ngk Iridium plugs in my car, and when I went to open the gap after the MSD install, I realized they're factory gapped at .050" already, so I left them alone. Its possible the gap was already a bit too large for the oem ignition to keep up, and the MSD helped bridge that gap much better resulting in such a dramatic shift in performance and MPG. Either way it reinforces the fact that the MSD ignition works.

7 hours ago, paradime said:

My Dato

72 510, S13 Blacktop SR20DET with stock cam, Greddy Knock off intake customized for top feed injectors, Ron Davis intercooler with C6 Transfer Black thermal conductive coating, smooth port matched log exhaust manifold, Garrett 3071R twin scroll turbo with 3" exhaust. 4" cold air intake with on MAF, GM LS2 coil pack ignition, Link G4 stand alone ECU set up for E85 with Z-Tech Flex Fuel sensor, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors. 06 Subi r180 3.54 LDS. 02 range from 10.7 at idle to 15.6 WFO. Cruise is in the high 13s

I've never gone through a fill up without mixed driving. Everything from highway, street, racing and the best I've ever seen is 22 MPG. E85 requires 30% more fuel than gas though, so I guess that's not too bad.

No that's not bad at all for E85. I get half that in my 1.5JZ Cressida on E85 city driving at 614 rwhp.