620 vr38dett swap

620kc

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be VERY tight, if not impossible.... if you plan on using a hood. The vr38dett is a ridiculously tall engine and the 620 engine bay is a bit vertically challenged haha. I was looking into more unique engine options for mine and the chevy LFX v6 engine came up which is a dohc 3.6L v6 and it got outruled because of overall height, and the 38dett is even taller than the LFX. 

Possible? Yes, but not likely. 

• Like 1

Well I know literally everything will need to be fabricated for it to work. My concern is engine fitment in the bay. I know I'll have to cut in to the cab, but like mccuistion said with the height issue will it fit under windshield/dash area. My truck being a king cab I can bring the fire wall in some to allow fitment in bay 

• Like 1

Yeah, literally EVERYTHING will need to be custom design and fab lol. 

If you're going to measure a 38dett then focus on overall height, mount location, and the width near the DOHC and top/bottom. My concern other than height would be width of the heads. Again.... the 620 engine bay is not large by any stretch of the imagination. It would probably end up being a custom tube chassis/frame from the cab forward. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. So I'm moving forward on this build. Talking to a local fab shop that specializes in custom chassis, I'm feeling  very confident we can get this to work. After reviewing some notes,taking more measurements and doing a bit more research, we feel our clearance issues are minimal. Our main concern is the suspension geometry, making every thing preform as good as it looks as I plan to drive the hell out of it once it's done. Im still the planning stages, but hope to get in to the fabrication soon 

• Like 1