What are the best bucket seats for 73 datsun 610?

Rasp933

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like asking advice on a bride. (everything is a compromise, everything is subjective)

Does the seat have to fit perfectly... in other words 'drop in'?

Does it have to match the rest of the interior?

Cloth, vinyl, leather?

Do you want comfort looks or both? 

Do you have $800 or a hundred to spend?

I would never buy those after market 'racing seats' with the 5 point restraint and fabric covered aluminum sheet metal. Maybe if I was 19. I would go to a wrecking yard and sit in a variety of different seats and 'try them on' for fit and comfort. There are a lot of really good looking seats out there with great looking upholstery. Take a tape measure and know what will fit your 510 first. Hell, unbolt them and take a good look at how they are attached. Can you get your seat rails welded on it? Can you convert the 510 over so the new attachment points and adjustments work? Will it sit too high? can't fix that. Will the door close properly? Can you reach the recline adjustment? Look for one with lumbar adjustment. Does the head rest fit? because some cars are a PITA to me. Get in and out multiple times. If heavily bolstered it's a pain and bother to climb/slide smoothly in and out without ripping you balls off.

Not suggesting you get these but I settled on Subaru Outback buckets. I managed to remove the adjustment and mounting hardware and weld my 710 stuff on so it literally 'drops in'. It took a lot of measuring, installing and measuring and trial an error but I now have an electrically heated seat that is also electrically adjustable. The front can be raised to support under the knees but not so much it cuts off circulation... great for long distance driving when you start to get tired. The ass end adjust up/down to get this right. Both together lifts or lowers the seat and there is forward and reverse. Until I took them home I thought they were vinyl but they turned out to be leather. Leather will, over time, stretch/form to your ass. This is not a bad thing as the seat actually grips and holds you better when cornering or braking. Looks? Complaining about a butt imprint is like complaining about the wear on your shift knob. It is, what it is, and it got there honestly. Oh yeah... the best $60 investment in driving comfort.