Catch Can Filter

So I sense that the debate between oil filter and dump line on oil catch cans is a relatively subjective discussion. I have elected to go with a filter for aesthetic reasons. My question for you all is, what size filter would you recommend / are you running?

As i understand it, the filter's main use is a pressure release, as the pipe coming out of the crankcase generates a little pressure. Given that, is a filter this size enough? 

catchcan.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine will generate blow by gasses under load. in most cases the PCV system can handle them but heavy load means low intake vacuum and more blow by.  Normally they just vent into the carb throat through that 3/4" hose on the valve cover and they are done with. I would not want anything restrictive that may pressurize the the crankcase and push oil out the seals or gaskets. What's the point of dumping oil and gas fumes into the engine compartment anyway????? The 'catch can' is supposed to collect solids like oil droplets from over revving or a blown engine on the track.

The rest of the time air is sucked through the filter, through the catch can and into the valve cover to replace the air drawn out of the crankcase by the PCV valve. Get the largest filter you can find and mount it above the catch can so it stays cleaner longer. ? (these emoji suck)

• Like 1

That makes sense. 

I'm not particularly worried about it filling up, based on the amount of junk coming out of either the block or valve cover. Plus, I have a plug on the bottom I can drain from if really needed. 

I'll be on the lookout for a larger filter to increase air flow. Should I be worried about driving it long distance as is? 

No worries. The original PCV system draws fresh air from the air filter housing so no chance of it plugging up. Some oil fumes are going to push through the catch can, it's inevitable. If the filter gets sticky it will collect dust from the air on it. Just inspect it regularly. I've seen them on valve covers when a Weber is put on and the hose is disconnected and they're dripping oil. An engine that's worn  will blow more than a good one.