L18 +.030 pistons vs L28 flat top 86mm for budget rebuild

mccuistion

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I called american custom cam and Schneider. Schneider offers a full setup with springs, retainers, pads, and cam. ACC does not offer anything but the cam but he seemed VERY knowledgable about L series and datsuns. They both charge about $125 for the regrind so I'll probably give ACC my business based off your recomendations. He recommended the O71 profile which seemed a bit aggressive to me, think it is a 295/.495ish? But he said it picks up around 3000rpm.

On a side note, my NOS Nissan OEM L28 flatop pistons arrived and I'm super excited!

10459jc.jpg

Edited by mccuistion
  • Like 1

Most of your driving will be below 3K, remember this. You will forever be clawing your way up around town and once in a while get to use it on an on ramp. Never ever over cam your car, ever. It's far better to want more cam and not have it, than it is to have too much cam and not want it. Aim your improvements for the broadest midrange power

• Like 1

You might talk to Delta Cams in Tacoma about having them regrind your stock cam with just a little extra lift (no more than stock springs can handle).They've done this for me on a few daily-drivers. It's a cheap option, and local.  I wish I could lead you to a machine shop here.  My long-time machinist got tired of all the B.S. that attends that business and the poor take-home pay (lots of shops have closed), and he sold the shop and left town to live in the woods.

In fact, here's a suggestion:  if you find a machinist with a good reputation, a guy with whom you'd like to continue to do business, pay a little extra and have HIM buy most of the expensive parts.  Besides letting him make a little on parts (which used to be a major part of a shop's income stream, decades ago), understand that he can't be responsible for stuff brought in by guys who got them on-line, so if there's any sort of problem, he has to wait for YOU to deal with the provider of the parts, with your engine sitting idle and taking up space in his shop.  He works to keep track of the relative reliability of parts providers,  and in this era  of offshored/outsourced auto parts, no-good parts have become a nightmare for shop owners. Have him explain all this, let him buy the parts, and you'll have a machinist who will volunteer good advice and do his best work for you from then on.  As I say, the business he's in is not something he would have got into had he known all about it.  We customers need to help our dwindling number of good auto machine shops.

Edited by seattle smitty
  • Like 2

Good idea Smitty, i'll give Delta cam a call and see what they say. I live in Federal Way so i'm only 20 minutes away.

I've called several local machine shops and think i'll be using Pacific Auto Machine in Renton. As for buying parts from the shop i definitely would agree with you if they were building my engine, but i prefer to build my own engine as a labor of love. The machine shop will just be magnafluxing and boring/honing the block and truing the head if needed. 

• Like 1

Delta cam were never correct when I bought theirs years ago and gave them away.

Parksgeek.com had a cam on its site 460 lift ones I think but I would go bigger.150bucks

I got a Schneider 460 and those should have coem stock on Datsuns far as Im concerned, Scheider is regrinds now so you have to figure your lash pads are going to be bigger.

Isky sells cams also.

if you only going to drive this a year why waist money on it. regasket it and just drive it.  I have L16/18s but given a chance again I would only do L20s.

• Like 1