81 210 blower fan fuse?

afracer

I'm on the road and my heater blower fan just stopped working and I don't have my fsm with me. Where or which fuse controls it? All of my fuses on the fuse block are intact. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the fan switch on, hold quarter across the fuse clips one at a time. When the fan starts that's the one. Usually wiggling it get is in better contact but some times they are actually blown. Next time you are in a wrecking yard with old vehicles grab all the glass fuses you can find.They fit perfectly into your pocket.

• Haha 1

IF it's a fuse this is an easy check and fix.

Otherwise it's a bad switch, bad motor or the ground is bad.

Nissan sends power to the electric fan then uses the switch to select one or two resistances to ground for different speeds, with directly to ground for the fastest speed.

That will be in he fuse box. I can't tell you exactly which one, only how to find which one quickly and easily. Fuse boxes are different and placed differently in different cars. The 210 appears to be on the left, or driver's side, probably on the kick panel.  The fuse box cover lists what fuses are for what functions, but if you don't have the cover, use a quarter.

There was never a fuse cover on the car when i bought it. A wiring diagram would be super beneficial since all of the fuses in the fuse block are good. Sometimes Nissan hides fuses and relays for things in odd areas, and the fuse for the blower could be in a different location. I don't have a multimeter with me either but am quickly learning the error of leaving home without it or my fsm.

6XXHZRx.jpg

The fuses are in the fuse box. Nissan wouldn't hide them just anywhere, they keep them together. The box will have clips for the fuses like this above. Turn the fan on and hold a quarter across each pair of clips. If, or when the fan comes on that's the fuse. They always 'look' good but often they are not making contact inside or with the clips that hold them.

Yeah actually Nissan did hide fuses in many of their cars not in the fuse box. The 1200s had one near the firewall in the engine bay but I forgot what for, and after ripping stuff apart yesterday my suspicions were correct and I found the 30 amp A/C fuse in my 210 behind the glove box. You've got to remember, A/C cars used the larger blower motors and had an additional relay to help supply power. Bridging the fuse holders with spare change was completely unnecessary as other items (radio) on the same circuit worked perfectly once I found a picture of the fuse cover online to verify which fuse partially controlled the heater. Unfortunately, the switch was fine  and blower was getting power from the fuse and relay when blower was disconnected but when I connected the positive wire, voltage went to zero so I think the motor is shot. I didn't have any loose wire to try to hotwire it and see if its truly dead but everything else including ground and switches work perfectly.  I'll be home tonight to solve it, just wish we had A/C for the next 13.5 hours of driving.

Yeah I tried all that, we just suffered thru it all day yesterday driving home. Gonna see if I can adapt a more available motor to it like how the Z guys use the Civic blower.

I was able to hotwire the motor and of course it works, turned out it was the A/C relay that failed, which hides behind the glove box, swapped it out with a spare and it all works again. Its an expensive relay to replace! Same relay more or less as the choke relay, cheapest I could find was $75 shipped. Will prob order another spare eventually, like if I win the lottery.

Edited by afracer