1972 2 door

So I came across a complete, unmolested, stock 1972 two door today.  No rust, complete car.  Everything is there including the engine, but it is not known if it even turns over, much less able to get it to run.  I was given a price of 5k to take this garage kept car away.  It seems a bit high, and I haven’t shopped 510’s in 10 plus years.  Therefore I thought I would preach to the choir here and ask, 1. Is the market still strong for these cars?  At 5k is there any flipable profit in it?  

I generally hate newbie questions like those above, but considering I am so far removed from the 510 community these days, I thought I’d throw it out there regardless, and take whatever ribbing you guys have.  Thoughtful insights will be appreciated though.

thanks for your time.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5K for an unmolested 2 dr seems pretty good, running or not IMHO. Pics of it would really help. Take a wrench over and see if the motor will at least turn by hand. If it does I would imagine a couple hundred dollhairs to get it running ( maybe, lots of unknowns here). How long has it been sitting and the inevitable...did it run when parked. Lots of other questions that are standard when buying an old car...what do the weather strips look like, what about rubber suspension bushings, how old are the fluids, and yada, yada, yada. Take a look at bring a trailer and some craigs list postings to get an Idea of the market.

All that being said, I am more of a 1200 guy. But, at 5K for a 2dr...I would have some interest.

My $.02 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, 1968F-100 said:

So I came across a complete, unmolested, stock 1972 two door today.  No rust, complete car.  Everything is there including the engine, but it is not known if it even turns over, much less able to get it to run.  I was given a price of 5k to take this garage kept car away.  It seems a bit high, and I haven’t shopped 510’s in 10 plus years.  Therefore I thought I would preach to the choir here and ask, 1. Is the market still strong for these cars?  At 5k is there any flipable profit in it?  

I generally hate newbie questions like those above, but considering I am so far removed from the 510 community these days, I thought I’d throw it out there regardless, and take whatever ribbing you guys have.  Thoughtful insights will be appreciated though.

thanks for your time.

Odds are finding another in the condition stated for the price will not happen again.

Edited by 125 CSL
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, KELMO said:

5K for an unmolested 2 dr seems pretty good, running or not IMHO. Pics of it would really help. Take a wrench over and see if the motor will at least turn by hand. If it does I would imagine a couple hundred dollhairs to get it running ( maybe, lots of unknowns here). How long has it been sitting and the inevitable...did it run when parked. Lots of other questions that are standard when buying an old car...what do the weather strips look like, what about rubber suspension bushings, how old are the fluids, and yada, yada, yada. Take a look at bring a trailer and some craigs list postings to get an Idea of the market.

All that being said, I am more of a 1200 guy. But, at 5K for a 2dr...I would have some interest.

My $.02 

Yes, I fully realized that there are more questions than I could possibly fathom.  I am a car guy, and I will be doing what you mentioned come Sunday.  But generally speaking, you have answered my main interest, and that was is 5k a respectable number for a starter car.  Thank you for that!

Wow this makes me feel real good concidering I have 3 2doors in the garage. I have no plans to sell any but knowing the stock value is near that range is nice.they all run even the one I took apart 20 years ago witch  I'm planing to get back on and done all up. As well I'm glad I got them all when I could for cheep way way back. Good luck with your venture.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, they have gone up on price, maybe almost doubled in the last 15 years. Check out BAT or bring a trailer on line, you have some idea on prices. The main thing is you will enjoy it and don't look at the 510 as a way to invest, although it is an investment, I would rather do 401k, IRA or any tax deferred. Good luck.

If you can't drive it it's just a body. Brakes, transmission, diff, driveshafts, wheel bearings, charging system/electrical accessories, suspension and way more are unknown quantities. All you have is a visual on them. Miles roll over to zero past 99,999 so.... look at high wear items like the brake pedal, steering wheel, driver's seat, carpet under pedals. Does it reflect what the owner says?

It might still be a good deal but owners always think it's worth much more.  

• Like 1