67 datsun 520 4 speed trans issue

hi there newbie here,just picked up a 1967 Datsun 520 this weekend and im having some problem with trans,Previous owner took trans down to replace clutch and tried to replece rear output seal on trans,it seems he got the wrong one so he tried removing wich looks like a metal bushing and ruined the metal where seal seats.The trans is a NO16_29 4 speed.The rear tail of the trans seems like it can be replaced by removing a few bolts,but was woundering if there was a direct replacement trans from a newer car or truck that would fit the J 1300 cc motor.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the bushing is 32132-14600 Nissan part number about $10 20 years ago. There are several Nissan parts suppliers and then there's Nissan itself. Not sure if the bushing is pressed in and then perhaps reamed to size. Good luck.

Replace the rear extension? well there appears to be a lot of similarities in the 520/521/510/early '73 620/710 4 speeds. They are all 26" long and use that same bushing. But NOT the 610 tail, it's longer. If you can find one of these old 4 speed laying around it ... probably will work.

The J13 was only used till June '69 when the L16 replaced it.

As Hainz once said... "I had three of those old 4 speeds so I put them on the front lawn with a sign that said FREE. I came home from work and there were five.

I suggest you place an ad for another J series transmission or the tail, and failing that one from the list of tails I posted.... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/