Coil spring alternatives

Guys I have a small problem. I own an 81 B310. The previous owner seems to have cut the front coil springs in order to lower it. The ride is terrible even with new strut inserts. Bottoming out is common with daily driving. Rockauto has new springs listed but they are out of stock. What other vehicles could I pull springs off of to match original ride height and spring rate? Stiffer springs but slightly shorter wouldnt be an issue as long as it doesnt cause the car to bottom out. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting springs to lower is a very bad idea. Cutting actually stiffens the spring rate but it can lower uncontrollably. You really need to raise it. Even an inch would help

I would take the strut apart slip rubber spacers in under the spring to sit on and let the car back down. You can cut them out of conveyor belt or anything thick and rubbery. You may be able to buy them. Inside diameter is just over 2", the same size as the strut. Outside diameter is around 6" but just measure your spring diameter. I don't know how severe the lowering is so 1 1/2" or OR 2" of thickness of runner will lift slightly less than this because it compresses. You will have the same spring firmness but the car will ride higher and not bottom.

You say the inserts were replaced? Are they the exact size for the B-310? If too short they will need spacers like a stack of washers under them to support them.