I'm back in the 411 game - WRL411

reza

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, reza said:

I'll have to add a 3rd light to the top of my wagon hatch, I believe you, I've owned 7 or 8 rear bumpers and all except for 1 was crunched. 

I can appreciate how hard to find 410/411 rear bumpers must be to get your hands on. Try coming up with a NL320 rear bumper; especially anywhere off the west coast.  I added a LED third light to our 1200 Sport Truck. I probably should add a second light and make it twice as wide. I've been run over several times in the last 20 years and have a plastic right foot to show for it. A 410/411 Goon is on the bucket list to keep the pickup company.

3rd-Brake-Lite-1.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, difrangia said:

^  Thanx.  ^

I take it that Red is your favorite color on a car :) Really dig your truck. I usually enjoy chasing parts but there's a fine line, when the fun turns into obsession, in which I end up spending 5x the amount I intended. I better be safe and get the LED.  The rare parts struggle is real. 

Yeah, Reza, red 'Corse Rosse'.  Italian Racing Red. Both of my dad's parents were Italian immigrants. '23 & Me' pegs me at 37% Italian ancestry with a good helping of French.

Red comes natural for me. My other two 'daily drive' cars not in the pic are one red and  the other one blue (guess that's the Frenchy blood ?).

I've always had at least one or two oddball toy vehicles around that provoked blank stares from parts counter guys so for decades I've grown accustomed to scrounging old stock parts or substituting and adapting stuff from other vehicles or whatever was required to maintain my toys. Almost fifty years of career in machine shops and sheet metal fab shops has helped out immensely. 

My wife accuses me of being criminally invested in that red 320, but she knows that it's like my favorite pair of pants or shirt. She knows that she'd be in deep Caca if she even thought of throwing out that pair of pants or shirt, no matter how threadbare or holey they got. The 320 has found a semi-permanent home.

Life is GOOD !!

• 2 months later...

Not sure why in the fart it won't stop snowing but i'm thinking of investing in pengiun farming.

G6mocWO.jpg

If this is the type you were looking for,,,,,  Sending this one and another,,,,  that is totally giving me the slip right now. 

WojbeNn.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

Not sure why in the fart it won't stop snowing but i'm thinking of investing in pengiun farming.

G6mocWO.jpg

If this is the type you were looking for,,,,,  Sending this one and another,,,,  that is totally giving me the slip right now. 

WojbeNn.jpg

Exactly! thank you. I've been snowed in since about a day after you left here, Awful winter. This gives me HOPE. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

A radiator fan guard and a clock.  Very good !  Find an original intake filter housing [has integral intake horns] and hook up that "PCV" snorkle and you are home !

I do have the original filter housing, however for on the spot tuning, I've installed the vintage adjustable stacks that are easily accessable for my airflow meter. I do have to route my crankcase vent, which ill route somewhere else. I may have a header made for the exhaust and buy dual weber 40s and intake for the r16. 

So here's a heads up for anyone considering the JC whitney kit. DON'T BUY IT.  Opened the box to find the carpet is somewhat larger and fits wonky in the car, The fronts are a typical non molded 3 piece. The fronts have piping, however the rears have NO piping and look like I grabbed a box cutter and just hacked out a pattern with it. the rears are already fraying and look completely unfinished. really disappointing, the same kit could be made half assed for 35 dollars in materials, I spent 165. 

and speaking with the customer reps over the internet was just as poor as the quality of this fitment. I wont support JC whitney or buy any of their products. 
20190815-181139.jpg
20190815-181135.jpg
20190815-181132.jpg
20190815-181125.jpg

Edited by reza
  • Sad 2
11 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Then the quality really has deteriorated !  My kit was well dimensioned, edge bound and installed well.  Quite a few years ago I will admit.  Return it for refund!

Yeah Mike, the problem is whitney is a commissioned dealer, they likely had a different manufacturer at the time you ordered.  I won't be ordering from them again.

• 1 month later...

David Jernigan came to town, you may have seen him at the last canby show, tall guy who took several thousand pictures. He took some photos of my wagon last weekend and uploaded them to his flickr page, if you want to check them out, heres the link!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/djerniganphoto/with/48898393018/

Edited by reza
  • Like 1

I'm not defending JC Whitney, but generally speaking, the rear carpet piece goes in first.  The back edge tucks under the rear seat, the left and right edges go under the sill plates, and the front edge goes under the seat.  The front piece goes over the rear under the seats and covers the edge, so if it was edge bound, it wouldn't show.

Most of those kits come with the edges a bit frayed, and I've taken a lighter and singed them up a bit instead of trying to pull them or cut them off.

I had a similar kit I installed into my Sunny, and I did have to trim the side edges a bit.  I also took a heat gun and CAREFULLY heated the carpet to lay down a bit better over the tunnel BEFORE trimming the edges.  The kit was a bit of work to install, but it wasn't much money and it looked pretty good when I was finished.  

I don't know your car at all, but I've done a few of these kits, and most of them are about the same. 

Edited by Duncan
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I'm not defending JC Whitney, but generally speaking, the rear carpet piece goes in first.  The back edge tucks under the rear seat, the left and right edges go under the sill plates, and the front edge goes under the seat.  The front piece goes over the rear under the seats and covers the edge, so if it was edge bound, it wouldn't show.

Most of those kits come with the edges a bit frayed, and I've taken a lighter and singed them up a bit instead of trying to pull them or cut them off.

I had a similar kit I installed into my Sunny, and I did have to trim the side edges a bit.  I also took a heat gun and CAREFULLY heated the carpet to lay down a bit better over the tunnel BEFORE trimming the edges.  The kit was a bit of work to install, but it wasn't much money and it looked pretty good when I was finished.  

I don't know your car at all, but I've done a few of these kits, and most of them are about the same. 

Its a shit carpet kit.