Datsun 510 Stuck in Reverse

jcd0402

42 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Oh  yes that's a better picture. Doesn't look bad now.

When the oil pan was removed was there any metal 'parts' in the bottom?

Well the reverse idler is turning any time the car is moving but not under any load because reverse is not engaged. If the needle bearings are from that I don't see any problem.

Grab the mainshaft and wiggle it around. It should turn but not move side to side. There are needle bearings in front of the reverse gear where the mainshaft is supported by the transmission case. In the picture above, the counter shaft (has the 4 gears on it) give it a tug and see if any looseness. It should only rotate like the mainshaft.

10 miles should be ok. Fill it with 80w90 gear oil. I use 2 feet of garden hose and a dollar store kitchen funnel. Slide it down from the engine compartment and into the fill hole on the side. When it spills out it's full. Holds 2 liters.

Thanks mike!!! 

Yeah, the main input and output shaft (Same one really lol) don't have any play in them. Also to my surprise there were 0 metal pieces in the oil pan, and 0 sludge on the gears, everything was in the tail housing. Must of happened only in the rear since when I got it it was leaning backwards. Ohh and all the forks are tight and snug the gears actually feel really firm and non of the fork shafts have any play, neither do the gears. 

Quick question, would you happen to know what bearing size is required for the reverse shaft? Sorry, its because i had to reassemble it since its in my cousins land and I don't want parts to accidentally go missing.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bs1rgqYr.jpg

The reverse idler is the small star gear upper left in this picture. Remove the snap ring on the end of the shaft and the gear can be pulled off it's spline. (with a puller) The reverse shaft has a thrust washer next and then a needle bearing cage supporting it in the case. I don't know if this can be easily pulled out or not.

The needle bearing cage is Nissan part 32283-14601.... about $25? There are two in the 4 speed. It's also used to support the front of the reverse shaft. This bearing was last used in the '81 A10 4 speed. 

25 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Bs1rgqYr.jpg

The reverse idler is the small star gear upper left in this picture. Remove the snap ring on the end of the shaft and the gear can be pulled off it's spline. (with a puller) The reverse shaft has a thrust washer next and then a needle bearing cage supporting it in the case. I don't know if this can be easily pulled out or not.

The needle bearing cage is Nissan part 32283-14601.... about $25? There are two in the 4 speed. It's also used to support the front of the reverse shaft. This bearing was last used in the '81 A10 4 speed. 

Thanks Mike! 

Just finished ordering some from ebay, $34 for both bearings oem nissan parts. In the nissan warehouse it stated NLA so I decided to scoop this ones up before they were gone hehe. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

My price list shows them at almost $20 each.

I don't know how they would get out much less into the tail, but...??

Yeah, I also can't figure out how they came off. Yet, the transmission bolts were somewhat loose. Someone before me may have tried to fix the reverse issue and they must of dropped the bearings, hence why they gave me the 4 speed transmission opposed to the 5 speed transmission that the car previously had; considering that the car came with a driveshaft cut to the 5 speed size. 

Also I may have dropped the transmission by accident once, oops ?

Edited by jcd0402
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 11:31 PM, datzenmike said:

Let's hope so on the dropped bearings.

Well to my luck the bearings I purchased were NLA. So I got my money back and no product. Dangit. 

Would you by any chance know if other universal bearings are available? 

Thank you