71 Datsun 1600

Gerbear2017

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any that fit other L series engines, although some are impractical. Did you really want a list? or are you looking for something in particular?

I'll assume you need another 521 transmission to replace your broken one?

Or are you looking for something a little 'better'? (by better I mean stronger and a 5 speed)

Do you need one that literally 'drops in'??? 

Or do you mind modifying your transmission mount and shortening your driveshaft?

• Like 1

You have a 71 521. If a 200sx 5 speed is it from the first gen '77-'79 S10 200sx??? This is the most likely 5 speed but there were other 200sx 5 speeds that will not fit... easily. If the first gen 200sx it's an FS5W63A, also called a dogleg. Here's a picture of one... Note the 63A cast into the right rear side...

9kmLE8y.jpg

If this is what you have and it is 26" long it's one of the easiest swaps. The driveshaft does NOT need shortening but there is a slight modification that's needed. The  521 driveshaft spline bolts into the back of your 4 speed. Separate the spline from the front of the driveshaft at the flange. Now remove the large bolt in the center...

Jffre59.jpg

.. and the spline pulls right out. The dogleg has no provision for that bolt, the spline will just slide in however the hole that was covered by the nut will drip transmission oil. The fix is to get a 40mm core plug from NAPA (or w/e) and degrease and silicone it and pound into place to plug it up...

huWLwUb.jpg

That's all there is for the driveshaft.

You will need to modify your transmission mount by sectioning it and welding it together again...

Ym1Q6Ut.jpg

Daniel C and wayno, both members here have done this I believe and someone on here may even make them.

That's about it. Speedometer cable is located in the same position. Use your starter, clutch release bearing and collar, slave cylinder and clutch arm. The dogleg will bolt up to any L series engine. I would use a new release bearing if the old one is rough or noisy and replace the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. They are less than $5. Most definitely replace the oil seal in the end of the transmission, (again about $5 for the seal) so you don't have an annoying drip. Oil is GL4 (NOT GL5 ever!) 80w90 is fine or I recommend the new GM Delco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid or any brand name synthetic.

• Like 1

No, the first gen 200sx had FS5W63A transmissions that were 26" long. The vast majority of 71B transmissions were 31.5".

With a different bolt pattern on the front case it (the 63A) was also used optionally on the '76 and up B-210 A series engines and also on the 2 door hatchback A10 (HL510) with L and Z series engines.

• Like 1