SU carburetors

crewdogch47

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your better off finding a complete SU setup made for your engine like this setup on Craigslist.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/datsun-510/6660727761.html

As I recall the R16 carbs are both mounted the same diagonal way, so only one of the R16 carbs will bolt to an L series intake manifold unless you can find a very rare/expensive 4 bolt L series intake manifold, the R16 intake manifold will not work on your L series engine/head, it's not even close.

• Like 1

I should have mentioned that I do not know if them SU carbs are any good in that craigslist link I posted, but that one appeared to have almost everything there, intake manifold, SU carbs, throttle linkage, and the aftermarket air filters.

The point was you need to buy a complete setup instead of buying individual parts and trying to put a good setup together, there are a lot of things you need, fact is that one is cheap for a reason, it is missing half the heat shield, it is hard to say what else it needs, I used that craigslist ad as an example.

That Ztherapy  place is expensive, but the carbs they sent me for my Roadster worked great, I had them adjusted 5 minutes after starting the car.

If you can find a complete setup with serviceable SU carbs it is worth the extra money, you will not regret buying them.

Another thing to keep in mind when going the SU route is that you need to have a head with 1 1/2 inch intake ports, either you need a head that already has them like the U67 head, the W58 head, or if your lucky to find one a 219 head, otherwise your going to have to have your heads intakes port matched to the SU intake manifold, you cannot just slap a SU intake manifold onto any head and expect it to work properly, I have heard of too many folks that did just that, they slapped an SU setup onto their A87 or W53 head that had 1 1/4 intake ports and they could not get it to run properly, they said their Weber had more power, it likely did because that intake manifold was port matched to the head, you cannot stick a SU manifold with 1 1/2 intake runners onto a head with 1 1/4 intake runners, the air going from a big hole into a smaller hole messes everything up, it just don't work, it may run, but it likely will not run properly.

What head casting do you have, 210, W53, A87, U67, W58, U60, A87 with a 219 on the front cover of the head, or maybe a V912 if your really lucky, I have never seen one of those in person myself.

• Like 1

Port matching is not as important as you'd think.  In fact, you're more likely to damage the flow characteristics if you get in there and start hogging away. If you do want to port match, just do the very minimum, unless you know what you're doing.

V912 heads were sold as race heads, to be ported by the end user, so unless you're very lucky to find one of the ones that came from Nissan with large ports, most of them had small ports, much the same size as a standard 210 casting.

• 1 month later...

The R16 Roadster SU carbs are different than the L block SU carbs, the R16 manifold is made to use the same carb side by side with the mount holes at 10am and 4pm with the throttle linkage on the same side on both carbs and the fuel bowls are on the same side also, while the L block manifold has the front carb mount holes at 10am and 4pm while the back carb mount holes are at 8pm and 2am and the throttle linkage is in the middle between the carbs while the fuel bowls are on the outside, so only one of the R16 carbs will actually fit the L block manifold if it would actually mount onto that manifold at all, I have never tried to see if they will fit since it is not possible to use both carbs, that is unless you can find a competition manifold with 4 mount holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all well after finding a set of SU CARBS on fee bay they just showed up today in the mail. They are round tops. I just placed them up next to the head and the back carb hits the trans kick down and throttle bracket  I am installing a manual trans at this time. Do they make a smaller throttle bracket with no kick down? The 2 door that I removed the trans from had the same thing.  Also with such tight location do you think I could get the stock air box to work? Have a good night  

• 5 weeks later...

I could lengthen the throttle rod but from what I have been reading is that they did have a longer one for the SU carbs and my car was a auto with a two barrel carb, But now I have installed a manual 4 speed and trying to get the SU carbs installed . Does any one know on how the choke cables install? Also how to find them.